* [9fans] External HDD over USB
@ 2009-02-07  4:08 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-07  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is a Seagate FreeAgent.

term% usb/disk
usb/disk: initialisation: permission denied
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
usbscsi: write cmd: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
status 0xFFFFFFFD
usb/disk: initialisation: fd out of range or not open
usb/disk: no usb mass storage device found

Suggestions?
ak

* Re: [9fans] External HDD over USB
@ 2009-02-07  4:12 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-07  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb  6 23:08:59 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> This is a Seagate FreeAgent.
>
> term% usb/disk
> usb/disk: initialisation: permission denied
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> usbscsi: write cmd: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: statuscmd: fd out of range or not open
> status 0xFFFFFFFD
> usb/disk: initialisation: fd out of range or not open
> usb/disk: no usb mass storage device found

it's a little hard to be certain because usb/disk
does not do werrstr("") before it calls umsinit, but,
i'd bet you're actually having permission problems.

are you running usb/disk as the host owner (eve)?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] External HDD over USB
@ 2009-02-07  4:35   ` akumar
From: akumar @ 2009-02-07  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've tried running it as glenda and
another user I've created.

Same results.

@ 2009-02-08  6:14   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/2/6 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> are you running usb/disk as the host owner (eve)?

oh, *eve* -- yes, I've tried as eve also, with the same
results.

any debugging I ought to try?

@ 2009-02-08 15:04     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-08 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 2009/2/6 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> > are you running usb/disk as the host owner (eve)?
> >

> oh, *eve* -- yes, I've tried as eve also, with the same
> results.

hostowner, after /dev/hostowner, and eve, after the kernel
variable name, refer to the same thing.  eve is "" until set
by factotum -S (cpuserver) or factotum -u (terminal).  factotum
writes the hostowner to /dev/hostower and as a special case
the setting process' owner is reset as well.

with the default install, a cpu server's hostowner is bootes.

> any debugging I ought to try?

auth/debug is always a good start.  no arguments, no man
page.  just run it.

once that fails, i'd use acid(1) truss to pinpoint the system
call that results in permission denied.  if it is /dev/usb*,
i would use scuzz(8) to double-check that it isn't a bug or misleading
message in devusb.  giving scuzz the "probe" command should
list all the available sd devices.  if it does not, then it's likely
a real permissions problem.

it's pretty likely that i haven't foreseen what's really going
wrong on your system.  so you're probablly going to need
to do a bit of experimentation.

good luck.

- erik