* [9fans] securing venti and fileservers was: (vac errors after updating to latest p9p archive)
@ 2009-08-17 12:33 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-08-17 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

We have discussed the common setup used by 9fans. Can somebody post
there method of securing venti stores.

regards
fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] securing venti and fileservers was: (vac errors after updating to latest p9p archive)
@ 2009-08-17 15:36 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-08-17 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Less of a "here's my experience" than a summary of earlier
conversations with various people, but still perhaps relevant or
helpful:

0) Venti contains neither authentication nor authorization. If you
care, you are advised to stick it on a trusted network, or listen only
on loopback.

1) The venti protocol reserves space for auth (see VtTauth0 and
VtTauth1 in /sys/include/venti.h), but I'm pretty sure nobody
implements it. Certainly I haven't found any definition of those
fields.

2) My biggest security concern wrt venti is denial-of-service by way
of spamming my disk (intentionally or not). /sys/src/cmd/venti/ro.c
implements a read-only proxy which reduces this risk.

3) The proxy also provides a useful example of how more complex
proxies could be constructed. What I'd like (it's on my todo, but down
a few rungs) is an extended version that allows r/w access from
trusted hosts/networks and r/o from everyone else.

4) There's always ssl or the like. Some people argue that's the best
path to take; I'm less convinced.

-----

P.S.: I have no idea why, but gmail thinks an appropriate ad for this
topic is for "Emo Teens": "Explore Emo Style & Personality. The Latest
Family Topics!". Funny, Glenda doesn't *look* emo to me.

* Re: [9fans] securing venti and fileservers was: (vac errors after updating to latest p9p archive)
@ 2009-08-17 15:55   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 0) Venti contains neither authentication nor authorization. If you
> care, you are advised to stick it on a trusted network, or listen only
> on loopback.
>
> 1) The venti protocol reserves space for auth (see VtTauth0 and
> VtTauth1 in /sys/include/venti.h), but I'm pretty sure nobody
> implements it. Certainly I haven't found any definition of those
> fields.

it is typical to not do authentication or authorization on
block-level storage.  venti may be fancy, but it's still block storage.
iscsi notwithstanding, storage networks tend to be pretty locked down.

> 4) There's always ssl or the like. Some people argue that's the best
> path to take; I'm less convinced.

i think it makes a lot of sense to use ssl like a streams module.
push it when necessary.  (venti already requires a streaming
protocol, so this isn't a big loss.)

for a lower-level solution, you could also use various flavors of vpn.

- erik