* [9fans] How to build plan9 image for raspberry pi with
@ 2013-03-11  9:49 Xinwei Hu
From: Xinwei Hu @ 2013-03-11  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

  A newbie question here.

  I want to fully utilize my 8G SD, while the image provided now is about 2G only.
Is there a way to customize the size of the image ? Or, even further, is there a way to extend existing filesystem online ?

  Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] How to build plan9 image for raspberry pi with
@ 2013-03-11 12:27 ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-03-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 11, 2013, at 9:49, Xinwei Hu <hxinwei@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  A newbie question here.
>
>  I want to fully utilize my 8G SD, while the image provided now is about 2G only.
> Is there a way to customize the size of the image ? Or, even further, is there a way to extend existing filesystem online ?
>
>  Thanks.

I booted mine off the net, nuked the fossil, and made a larger partition then used mkfs to install. You would probably have to do something similar.

* Re: [9fans] How to build plan9 image for raspberry pi with different size ?
@ 2013-03-11 14:08 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-03-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There isn't a simple way to grow an existing fossil partition.  You could
use the extra space on the SD card for a second fossil partition, or a venti
store.  To rebuild the main fossil on the pi, you would need to boot from
a root filesystem coming from somewhere else - a usb flash drive for example,
or a networked server.  Or you could rebuild the SD image offline, using
another plan 9 or plan 9-like system.

It would be better to have a proper "installer" for plan 9 on ARM, not
just a fixed image.  Perhaps one day there will be one.

If you are new to Plan 9, you will probably not find 2GB too limiting
while you explore its possibilities.  By the time you need more space,
you will have learned enough that you will be able to think of lots of
ways to expand.