Dont knock the paper clip - just the implementation The people who designed it ( at Microsoft Research ) are seriously excellent Bayesan statisticians who names i have forgotten ( apologies ). The problem for the marketroids was that it didnt appear often enough for them to sell it as a feature so they took all the careful tuned parameters and wound them up to 11 creating the monster we have today. Simon On 6/8/06, ems wrote: > > On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 21:51 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote: > > What if you had a window manager that could be recursive? that would set > > it up so you can name windows by a path name? that would let you treat > > the recursive desktops -- to any level -- as just another window? that > > would trivially allow you to connect mouse clicks in a window to control > > actions for one or more other windows (i.e. you could logically group > > windows and then control all of them via mouse clicks)? That would maybe > > let you easily connect output from a process in one window to another? > > that would let you build little widgets that could easily control other > > windows? That would let you display all window state in another window? > > That would let you set, say, all windows with a browser with the label > > abaco-### (### a number), with a simple text command; and let you find > > all windows with the label abaco.* with, in the limit, a grep? That > > would make it easy to group all windows with the label 'abaco.*' so that > > you could say 'hide all abaco' with a simple script? > > ________________________ > | It looks like you're | > | playing with rio. | > | | > | Would you like help? | > | | > | * Get help with | > | hiding windows | > | | > | * Just hide the | > | windows without | > | help | > | _ | > ||_| Don't show me | > | this tip again | > |______ ______________| > \ | > \| > Glenda > > Sorry, I couldn't help myself. (BTW, is there ACSII Glenda anywhere?) >