From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Authentication debugging help?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:09:17 -0500	[thread overview]

> 1. The initial chunk of the "Data Base" section of authsrv(6),
> discussing /lib/ndb/auth, is confusing me.  The text and
> comments seem to suggest that "hostid=bootes" refers to a
> machine named "bootes" (though I don't see "hostid" used
> in ndb(6) to designate machines, only "dom" and "sys").
> In fact, it explicitly says "client host's ID".

Host id is the id of the 'owner' or the host, i.e., the
name used when you booted the system.  If it's a cpu server,
you probably got asked:

authid?

That's the host id we're talking about.  Bootes is just an
example of one.

> 2. Can somebody give me some step-by-step suggestions of
> things to verify?  Things like "On your fs/auth server you
> should have a foo process, which you should see in ps, which
> should be offering /mnt/xxx and /srv/xxx and there should be
> a /rc/bin/service.auth/ilYYY file and if you "telnet srvname YYY"
> the greeting should be "zzz".

'netstat -n' should show something listening on tcp ports:

	567 - that's the auth service
	564 - that's the fossil server

'ps' should show a keyfs process running.

'ndb/query authdom <the name of your authentication domain>'
should return a tuple that includes, among other things,
the pair 'auth=<name (or address) of your auth server>'.

'ndb/csquery' followed by the query 'net!$auth!ticket'
should return to you the response:

	/net/tcp/clone <ip address of the auth server>!567

What is serving DHCP for this network?  The newly booted system
will first do a DHCP request to find out it's address, the address
of the dns servers, the address of auth server, and the address
of the file server.  If it fails to get any of these, it will
prompt for them on the console.  Is it getting that far?