* [9fans] USB hub issues on 9Pi
@ 2014-10-02 14:23 Roswell Grey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Roswell Grey @ 2014-10-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What are the known issues using hubs on 9Pi? I've tried using two different
hubs to connect my keyboard, mouse, and flash drives, but they don't work.
The optical mouse doesn't even have its laser turned on by the time booting
is finished. The only solution I've found is attaching the devices
directly, which I hate because I can't use my USB stick... Interesting to
note that I/O errors are reported on the boot console using one hub, while
nothing is reported with the other. Where do you think the problem resides
in, and is there any hope of any sort of fix, perhaps an experimental
driver modification? I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and code. This is
a programmer's os after all :D any help or advice is certainly appreciated.

* Re: [9fans] USB hub issues on 9Pi
@ 2014-10-02 14:40 ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2014-10-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is the hub powered?

@ 2014-10-02 14:40 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-10-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What are the known issues using hubs on 9Pi?

Power?  Have you tried self-powered USB hubs?

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] USB hub issues on 9Pi
@ 2014-10-03  8:50 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-10-03  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's a usb patch languishing in the neither-accepted-nor-rejected
limbo of patch/maybe which is actually essential for some hubs to
work.  Can you try applying the patch in /n/sources/patch/maybe/usb-short-desc
and see whether that helps?