* [9fans] networking, qemu, and telnet
@ 2014-01-25  2:20 Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2014-01-25  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I'm able to ping from plan9 the host (the macos machine running qemu).
After
% ip/ipconfig
% ndb/dns -r

I have something in /net/ndb
and running ndb/dnsquery
and entering address like www.google.com works.

ip/ipconfig 10.0.2.2
also works which is great.

Now I would like to do some very basic test by from plan9 telneting into the host.
But when I do
% telnet 10.0.2.2
I get
telnet: tcp!10.0.2.2!telnet: net unreachable.

Note that telnetd is running on my macos for sure
(I've run sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/telnet.plist)
and on macos doing in a terminal  telnet localhost does working.

So what do I need to be able to telnet from my plan9 to my host (macos) telnetd?

* Re: [9fans] networking, qemu, and telnet
@ 2014-01-25  2:23 ` Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2014-01-25  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> ip/ipconfig 10.0.2.2
> also works which is great.

Sorry, I meant ip/ping 10.0.2.2 works

@ 2014-01-25  3:44   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-01-25  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

con tcp!host!telnet

@ 2014-01-25  5:53     ` Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2014-01-25  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

net unreachable,
same than with the telnet command.

On Jan 24, 2014, at 7:44 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com<mailto:skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>>
 wrote:

con tcp!host!telnet

@ 2014-01-25 12:15 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-01-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 24 21:22:07 EST 2014, pad@fb.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm able to ping from plan9 the host (the macos machine running qemu).
> After
> % ip/ipconfig
> % ndb/dns -r
>
> I have something in /net/ndb
> and running ndb/dnsquery
> and entering address like www.google.com works.
>
> ip/ipconfig 10.0.2.2
> also works which is great.
>
> Now I would like to do some very basic test by from plan9 telneting into the host.
> But when I do
> % telnet 10.0.2.2
> I get
> telnet: tcp!10.0.2.2!telnet: net unreachable.

since ping works, this icmp message doesn't look right.  there
are only 6 messages in the kernel's icmp list, but there are 16
defined.  i'm guessing that the message is wrong.  try using
snoopy(8) to uncover the real message.

- erik