* [9fans] Patch updates and changes
@ 2005-09-23 21:11 Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-09-23 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just a FYI for people using patch(1), as I have seen various cases of
people creating more than one 'version' of a patch.

You can edit/remove/update patches until they are accepted/sorried/saved,
just go to /n/sources/patch/your-patch/ which is owned by you and edit
at will.

In case you have a new patch, rm -r works best to get rid of the old
patch and then replaced it with a new one of the same name using
patch/create.

If I got something wrong, russ will correct me :)

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Patch updates and changes
@ 2005-09-26 18:56 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-26 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah that was me... I totally hoerked it up at one point and didn't
realize what I was looking at.

Another source of confusion was the rule that no capital letters are
allowed in the name.  The error message was "bad name" and the man
page didn't mention that capitals were disallowed either.

It was then explained to me that "I'd have figured it out or gone back
to linux".

Yay for advocacy and the assumption that I actually use linux :).  I
guess you get what you pay for. :)

Dave

@ 2005-09-27  8:34   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2005-09-27  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k, 9fans

>>The error message was "bad name" and the man
>>page didn't mention that capitals were disallowed either.

having looked at the script, i suspect the main intention was
to eliminate characters strange enough that it would be `obvious'
why the name was bad (#&@!?*) but of course since the grep pattern
doesn't include upper case, you get a diagnostic that makes less sense.
usually none of the rest of us can find the shift key,
so i for one had never noticed!