* [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22  3:05 Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-22  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How do I designate ndb/dns to accept zone transfers from another one?
I have dnsslave set to the other machine in the `master zone file'
(for lack of a better term). The secondary server doesn't seem to
accept updates. (Or maybe the master isn't pushing them? Dunno.)

--dho

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 11:08 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-08-22 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I assume your master DNS is served from bind, then you
can use the zonefresh program in my contrib to build an
ndb compatible ndb file for your local dns to serve.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 13:32   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-22 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/22 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> I assume your master DNS is served from bind, then you
> can use the zonefresh program in my contrib to build an
> ndb compatible ndb file for your local dns to serve.

Actually, I'm using ndb/dns for both. I seem to recall reading that
ndb supports zone transfers by looking for large packets in udp53 (or
something). I suppose if this isn't possible, periodically pulling
/lib/ndb/local from the other machine and sending refresh to /net/dns
could work. (Just kind of wondering what the standard procedure is :))

--dho

> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 13:54     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also, I must be missing something about cname. The manpage suggests
that I simply add a line similar to:

cname=cname.fqdn.dom dom=other.fqdn.dom

However, doing this doesn't yield any responses for cname.fqdn.dom,
even though I have e.g.

ip=a.b.c.d dom=host.fqdn.dom
cname=www.fqdn.dom dom=host.fqdn.dom

When I then look up www.fqdn.dom, I get no response.

--dho

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 14:40       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-08-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cname=cname.fqdn.dom dom=other.fqdn.dom

Nopes:

dom=nickname.dqdn.dom
	cname=propername.fqdn.dom

works for me.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 14:47         ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-22 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/22  <lucio@proxima.alt.za>:
>> cname=cname.fqdn.dom dom=other.fqdn.dom
>
> Nopes:
>
> dom=nickname.dqdn.dom
>        cname=propername.fqdn.dom

Aha. The manpage shows this the other way around. I'll send a patch later today.

--dho

> works for me.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 20:05     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Aug 22 09:35:03 EDT 2009, devon.odell@gmail.com wrote:
> 2009/8/22 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> > I assume your master DNS is served from bind, then you
> > can use the zonefresh program in my contrib to build an
> > ndb compatible ndb file for your local dns to serve.
>
> Actually, I'm using ndb/dns for both. I seem to recall reading that
> ndb supports zone transfers by looking for large packets in udp53 (or
> something). I suppose if this isn't possible, periodically pulling
> /lib/ndb/local from the other machine and sending refresh to /net/dns
> could work. (Just kind of wondering what the standard procedure is :))

in that case, why wouldn't you use plan 9 methods, rather
than rely on goofy dns stuff?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-22 22:24       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-22 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/22 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> On Sat Aug 22 09:35:03 EDT 2009, devon.odell@gmail.com wrote:
>> 2009/8/22 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
>> > I assume your master DNS is served from bind, then you
>> > can use the zonefresh program in my contrib to build an
>> > ndb compatible ndb file for your local dns to serve.
>>
>> Actually, I'm using ndb/dns for both. I seem to recall reading that
>> ndb supports zone transfers by looking for large packets in udp53 (or
>> something). I suppose if this isn't possible, periodically pulling
>> /lib/ndb/local from the other machine and sending refresh to /net/dns
>> could work. (Just kind of wondering what the standard procedure is :))
>
> in that case, why wouldn't you use plan 9 methods, rather
> than rely on goofy dns stuff?

Because I rarely actually use Plan 9 and I'm not sure what the
proposed methodology for doing this is.

> - erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb/dns as a slave
@ 2009-08-23  2:05         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-23  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Actually, I'm using ndb/dns for both. I seem to recall reading that
> >> ndb supports zone transfers by looking for large packets in udp53 (or
> >> something). I suppose if this isn't possible, periodically pulling
> >> /lib/ndb/local from the other machine and sending refresh to /net/dns
> >> could work. (Just kind of wondering what the standard procedure is :))
> >
> > in that case, why wouldn't you use plan 9 methods, rather
> > than rely on goofy dns stuff?
>
> Because I rarely actually use Plan 9 and I'm not sure what the
> proposed methodology for doing this is.

if you're not normally using plan 9, i'm not sure why you'd be using
plan 9 for dns.

i think i would just have a script running on the slave that
import(1)'s the master and checks to see if the mater's ndb
file is newer.  to simply things, i would break out the zone
into its own ndb file.

to be run from cron.  this requires a shared user account
between the systems: (untested)

	#!/bin/rc
	# refreshzone
	master=master.example.com
	zf=example.com

	import -E ssl $master /n/master
	if(test /n/master/lib/ndb/$zf -nt /lib/ndb/$zf)
		cp -x /n/master/lib/ndb/$zf /lib/ndb

- erik