* [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26  1:34 Fernan Bolando
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-01-26  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

I recently installed plan9port on an openbsd pc in order gain access
to acme and other tools.

rio seems to work fine, but I have been getting a few 9serve.core dumps.

I also get the following when running acme
_procstart rfork_thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
Abort trap
....and few broken pipes message.

any openbsd experts here?

fernan
--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26  1:41 ` Iruata Souza
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-01-26  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

could you send me the core file? are you linking with rthreads?

iru

--
iru

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26  2:36   ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-01-26  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iruata Souza; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/26/09, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> could you send me the core file? are you linking with rthreads?
>
> iru
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Fernan Bolando
> <fernanbolando@mailc.net> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I recently installed plan9port on an openbsd pc in order gain access
>> to acme and other tools.
>>
>> rio seems to work fine, but I have been getting a few 9serve.core dumps.
>>
>> I also get the following when running acme
>> _procstart rfork_thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
>> Abort trap
>> ....and few broken pipes message.
>>
>> any openbsd experts here?
>>
>> fernan
>> --
>> http://www.fernski.com

Hi Iru

Applogies for the multiple replies, having problems sending with
attachments. Core files was sent directly to your gmail account.

I just followed the same install process I do with linux...type ./INSTAKK

again sorry about the multiple replies. and thanks for your help

regards
fernan
--

@ 2009-01-26  2:42 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2009-01-26  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> rio seems to work fine, but I have been getting a few 9serve.core dumps.

that makes sense: p9p's rio (used to be 9wm) is written with X-windows
in mind. it's not a Plan 9 app.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26  5:13 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-01-26  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Fernan Bolando
<fernanbolando@mailc.net> wrote:
> rio seems to work fine, but I have been getting a few 9serve.core dumps.
>
> I also get the following when running acme
> _procstart rfork_thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
> Abort trap
> ....and few broken pipes message.

 Hm, does this work?

9p -n -a sources.cs.bell-labs.com ls /

 I run netbsd and after recently updating p9p I get a Memory Fault
trying to do this, and a couple of process hanging around. I had a
quick go at debugging it but it was fairly inscrutible. I got the
impression it was libthread related but haven't found time to look at
it in more detail.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-26 16:04 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-01-26 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The plan9port code depends on the operating system's pthreads
being real kernel-level threads, not a fake user-level simulation.
The user-level simulations are not good enough, because
on the x86 they cut corners and use the stack pointer
to locate the thread-local state.  The Plan 9 threaded
programs manage their own stacks, making it impossible
for the user-space simulations to find their thread-local state.

Most Linux distributions switched to real threads (i.e., dropped
LinuxThreads in favor of NPTL) around the time they switched
to the 2.6 kernel.  FreeBSD switched in the FreeBSD 5 release.

Last I had heard, OpenBSD was still plodding along with
user-level threads.  Until they fix that, programs like acme
will not run.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26 18:01   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-01-26 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if you want to work on it some, this message talks about getting
inferno working on OpenBSD using the rthreads library (the pending
replacement for the userland threads russ talked about):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mechiel/inferno/openbsd43-old.html

you could likely follow a similar path for p9p if you're so inclined.

inferno has since gained an explicit OpenBSD port (for those
directions, remove "-old" from the above URL), but i'm not sure
whether that involves working around the userland thread model or
explicitly relying on rthreads.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26 18:28   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-01-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

can't remember on 4.4, but 4.3 did run acme fine.

--
iru

* Re: [9fans] plan9port openbsd 4.4
@ 2009-01-26 21:13     ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-01-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/27/09, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> can't remember on 4.4, but 4.3 did run acme fine.
>

> --
> iru

Yes, actually acme runs fine, I just get an occasional burp.

--

@ 2009-01-29 14:31       ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-01-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

I just everybody to know that...As usual Russ was right.
The occasional burp happens when acme tries to fork a new thread.

now I am back to using drawterm+qemu on openbsd

fernan

--

@ 2009-01-29 14:43     ` Mechiel Lukkien
From: Mechiel Lukkien @ 2009-01-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 01:01:55PM -0500, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> if you want to work on it some, this message talks about getting
> inferno working on OpenBSD using the rthreads library (the pending
> replacement for the userland threads russ talked about):
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mechiel/inferno/openbsd43-old.html
>
> you could likely follow a similar path for p9p if you're so inclined.

i don't recall the details, but i think those instructions let you do
too much.  i.e. i think the rfork-like function has been in openbsd for
longer than rthreads, and the instructions & patch at the url don't
really use the rthreads library.  btw, rthreads on openbsd had been
stalled, there does seem to be a dev woroking on that now.

as for the error of the original poster:  perhaps your process limit (or
other limit) is too low?  inferno spawns quite a few procs, which can
make me hit the default process limit (defined in /etc/login.conf).

mjl