* [9fans] [OT] CSP in fortran ?
@ 2010-09-16  9:37 Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2010-09-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

A bit offtopic, but since I know some HPC and/or csp pros are reading
9fans...

I have to work on a piece of fortran code to break it into pieces that
would run concurrently (à priori SPMD kind) , typically on a multicore
machine, not really on a big HPC cluster. One of the requirements is
to bring the least amount of modifications to the current code (for
maintainability).

I was hoping to find a fortran lib similar to p9p libthread, but not
much luck so far. Does anyone know of something like that?
I have started tackling it with CoArrays (http://www.co-array.org/),
and I'm going to try with MPI next. What would you guys recommend between
the two for that kind of problem?

Thanks,
Mathieu

* Re: [9fans] [OT] CSP in fortran ?
@ 2010-09-16 14:00 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't like it very much but ... have you looked at openmp? (NOT
openmpi, openmp)

ron

* Re: [9fans] [OT] CSP in fortran ?
@ 2010-09-16 14:10   ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2010-09-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was about to :)
>From what I read I see no advantage over Co-Array for what I want to
do though...

thanks,
mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4608 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] [OT] CSP in fortran ?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 07:00:35 -0700

@ 2010-09-16 14:15     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-16 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Mathieu Lonjaret
<mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was about to :)
> From what I read I see no advantage over Co-Array for what I want to
> do though...

Co-Array is neat. As to which to use, it's a heated argument. There
are even people who use MPI on shared memory machines so that if they
ever get a distributed memory machine the port is easier.

ron