* [9fans] [Announce] CorTeX: the core of TeX
@ 2009-12-16 16:28 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

The subject was touched on a previous thread.

Since I use a lot TeX, METAFONT and MetaPOST (with CWEB), I wanted to be
freed from what has become a nightmare and a bloatware.

So I have verified that this is feasible and has started with the
following principles:

1) The Pascal way is a noway; so the TeX related stuff will be compiled
with a C compiler.

2) I have retrieved an old (but post 3.0 for TeX) version of Web-to-C
that was still public domain and unemcumbered with GPL or GNU stuff
(getopts, kpathsea and so on). This is web2c version 5.0C (I don't
know if there is a later version still public and GNU free, but I
now don't care; it's fixed).

3) The only packages that will be handled by me (via the change files)
are Donald Knuth's, Tomas Rokicki's dvips (mainly C), John Hobby's
MetaPOST (before kpathsea and the like) and xdvi(1) (obviously this one
will be of no use for Plan9). The data (macros and fonts) should be
usable without much ado. (But I strictly don't care about LaTeX and the
like: I use plain or my own macros. If someone wants this, she will have
to test, on her own, with the core but without me.)

4) I have already handled the tangle/weave bootstrap and web2c
utilities to know if this is achievable. They are POSIXLY compliant and
they work in this preliminary tour. The remaining is an update of the
change files.

5) The first step will be POSIX (this is mainly C89, but some signal
handling and other sys dependant stuff are here). I will remove any
Curses stuff, to build 1D programs that is _line_ oriented interface
(as an example, the editor is ed(1); not vi(1)).

It should compile under APE for Plan9 without problem.

Since I'm late, as usual, with some business stuff for early 2010, don't
expect news before end of January 2010. After verifying the current
state (if one wants TeX, one must download an ISO DVD...), and verifying
that I can have hope to continue using TeX on my own, I put this
aside for the moment.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] [Announce] CorTeX: the core of TeX
@ 2009-12-16 18:32 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-12-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So I have verified that this is feasible and has started with the
> following principles:

A minimalist after my own heart.  May the source be with you ;-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] [Announce] CorTeX: the core of TeX
@ 2009-12-16 19:02   ` Frederik Caulier
From: Frederik Caulier @ 2009-12-16 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's great news, if you need some help with testing drop me a line.

* Re: [9fans] [Announce] CorTeX: the core of TeX
@ 2009-12-19 15:32     ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:02:03PM +0100, Frederik Caulier wrote:
> That's great news, if you need some help with testing drop me a line.

OK.

The good news---since I have continued to work a little on this while I
have more urgent things to do---is that it is absolutely _simple_ to
restart from this (the original web2c)... I don't know if the road of
hell is paved with good intentions; but it's clear that the software
highways of hells are "organised" by GPL communities...

So be prepared to the naked truth:
	- TeX and al. with uncompressed sources of 20 Mo.
	- compilation, including _cross compilation_ on any POSIX or Plan9
	(APE at first, but could be native easily) in some minutes.
	- and installation in whatever organization you like since the
	installation is governed by a map describing where to put (on the
	target) the different pieces. (All this is already existing: it's my
	RISK basic Bourne shell (at the moment; rc incarnation will come)
	framework, which is used for KerGIS).

So rendez-vous sometimes in the end of january 2010!
--

@ 2009-12-19 16:19       ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2009-12-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> OK.
>
> The good news---since I have continued to work a little on this while I
> have more urgent things to do---is that it is absolutely _simple_ to
> restart from this (the original web2c)... I don't know if the road of
> hell is paved with good intentions; but it's clear that the software
> highways of hells are "organised" by GPL communities...

Good morning,

I had read this as 'gpl communists', but since my eyes have now fully
opened I needn't any longer employ my perverse imagination to read
ahead.

Nick

* Re: [9fans] [Announce] CorTeX: the core of TeX
@ 2009-12-19 20:00         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-12-19 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening,

it's probably not your eyes' fault. Mine have been working fine and I
read it the same way.