From: Jim Choate ravage@ssz.com
Subject: [9fans] Re: Plan9 should be free distributable
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 16:19:56 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> > On Sat, 13 May 2000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> >
> > > In your arguments, you seem to ignore the fact the the most popular
> > > (and vastly inferiour) operating system on the market costs quite
> > > a lot more than Plan9, and I don't see hordes of "NT/Windows" clones
> > > out there because of it.
> >
> > No? How about DR Dos, DesqView(X), 4Dos, Wine, etc. There have been at
> > least a half dozen efforts. Unfortunately everyone of them fell apart
> > (well other than Wine).
>
> None of these are Windows or NT clones. They are eather failed DOS
> clones or subsystems which attempt to allow Windows API applications to
> run on another operating system.

There are clones as well as direct competitors.

The point is, the field is not as barren as you paint.

> I certainly would not count Linux as a Windows clone, Wine or not...

Wine allows Windows programs to be executed, in most peoples minds that is
close enough.

> And the reason there are no clones is that Microsoft don't
> release their source, keep the interfaces a moving target, and
> have an army of lawyers ready to pounce on anyone that puts a foot
> wrong.

Clones don't require source access and considering the current attitude it
would be wise to employ clean room development from the beginning. Provide
nothing but the documentation of the basic API's as a starting point.

They also don't publish all their API's in totality.

However, none of this has kept people from trying.

> Threats to 'give it away or we will steal it' are the sort of thing
> that can convince management to follow a similar closed strategy,
> and put a stop to cheap source and free downloads.

You're the ONLY party suggestion anything be stolen.

In general your reaction is a tad, how shall I say, apologetic.

I'd certainly be interested in a Open Source clone of Plan 9 to point of
spending my own time and money to that end. The less that goes to ATT (for
their non-action/support) the better.

            The future is downloading. Can you hear the impact?

                                        O[rphan] D[rift>]
                                        Cyber Positive

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com