From: Dennis Davis ccsdhd@bath.ac.uk
Subject: [9fans] inferno licence terms
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:59:59 +0000	[thread overview]

The following is the essence from a recent draft of the licence we are
preparing for Inferno.  The intent should not change but the wording might be refined
to reflect the intent more accurately.  I have added some clarifying
phrases in brackets.

  * You get all the source code [to native and hosted systems, and tools].
  * You can distribute without fee [ie, no run-time royalty to us] binary copies
	of Inferno or binary copies of amended versions of Inferno
  * You can distribute without fee [ie, nothing payable to us] Inferno source code to
	other Inferno subscribers
  * You can distribute without fee [ie, nothing payable to us] source code to the
	tools, drivers and applications [code in /appl]
  * You can keep modifications you make private - but we
	encourage you to share.  [ie, you own them, we don't]
  * This is a personal licence owned by you and you alone.

One thing that is not obvious is that the licence allows commercial use
by any subscriber: the `without fee' is a restriction on us, not
on a subscriber.

Those are the basic terms for personal licences; the corporate licence
is almost identical but removes the restrictions of the last line.
Though not in the legal licence yet, I have asked that lecturers should be
allowed to share their personal licence benefits with students of a course
or project for the duration of the course or project.  There might be other
similar tweaking of content and scope.

Charles Forsyth
Vita Nuova