* [9fans] Next (Potential) Release of Plan9
@ 2000-05-16 12:59 Iain
From: Iain @ 2000-05-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

<DELURK>

Normally, Im not minded to get into the "x OS should be open source debates,
or anything similar,
 but it seems a lot of people (to me  anyway, over the last few months) are
moaning and moaning
at the  people who wrote Plan9  (and it's successor/the new version)

This is not going to be a "Moan at the Lawyers, or the Managment" post
either, but something else
entirely.

Id like to thank Rob, Ken, Proesotto, and everyone else who has been
involved., for the hard work
theyve put into the operating system thus far, and also (Im sure), their
efforts behind the scenes
to get the next version released.

(I think the concept of plan9, and (from what Ive seen, the implementation)
is great [OK, I dont
have a full copy yet, Im waiting to see if its worth ordering the 1995
version, or being in the UK,
the new version will come out before the 95 version arrives here - Its a big
pond])

Id also like to encourge the same set of people to keep  perservering, and
not get disheartened.
(Some of the posts in here over the last few months have made me think,"If
it was me who was
 in Rob/Kens/Presottos/whoever's place, Id have said "Sod 'Em, its too much
effiort")

Id like to ask that everyone here _supports_ them.  Let them deal with
Lucent's Management,
 and Lawyers. _They_ know them best. _They_ have the best chance of
conviencing them to
release the new version, and on favourable terms, but if people here keep
moaning at them,
I could quite understand them saying "I've had enough", and if that happens,
well I guess no
more plan9. period.

Iain
(who will now go back to lurking, and apologise for any crap headers, and
useless formatting
OutBorken Express introduced - It is temporary, until the new Non-WinMODEM
arrives,
and I can obsolete this current abomination of Net Access and Operating
System.)

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-05-16 12:59 UTC | newest]