* [9fans] Plan 9 on a Thinkpad
@ 2000-05-17 16:22 miller
From: miller @ 2000-05-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another thing -- at least some thinkpads (701CS, 560X, ...) need a
small change in main.c in order to see pcmcia at all:

void
romscan(void)
{
	uchar *p;

	p = (uchar*)(KZERO+0xC8000);
	p = (uchar*)(KZERO+0xD0000);	/* for thinkpad */

Thanks to forsyth@vitanuova.com for this one.

-- Richard Miller

* [9fans] Plan 9 on a Thinkpad
@ 2000-05-17 12:43 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-05-17 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

	1) The VGA adapter is a C&T 65550.

The 65550 is different and there is a driver in the new release.

	2) I haven't found any magic that will get my Linksys
	PCMCIA ethernet card up.

If this is an NE2000 clone then this was discussed a couple of weeks
ago. There needs to be a little PCMCIA interface driver written for
the kernel similar to that for the 3COM 3C589. If someone hasn't done
it in the meantime, tell me the exact model number of the card and I'll
see if I can get hold of one.

--jim

* [9fans] Plan 9 on a Thinkpad
@ 2000-05-17  8:42 stuartb
From: stuartb @ 2000-05-17  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

All this talk of a new Plan 9 release has gotten me
off my backside and playing with the '95 release
some more.  I installed the 4 floppy set on my
laptop (an IBM Thinkpad 310) and was pleasantly
surprised to find that most things were happy.  There
are a couple of points where I could use some help.

1) The VGA adapter is a C&T 65550.  I've added an entry
in /lib/vgadb for it specifying ctlr=ct65540 linear=1
and for 800x600x8, I get a blue screen with some hash
in the background that is my screen text.  Leaving out
the linear option or setting it to 0 seems to have no
effect.  A ctlr setting of ct65550 seems to be illegal.
Am I stuck to just 800x600x1 or is there some trick
anyone knows about that can get me 8 bit depth?

2) I haven't found any magic that will get my Linksys
PCMCIA ethernet card up.  In linux, the card manager
reports its control registers at 0x300 and it having
irq 3.  But ether0=type=ne2000 port=0x300 irq=3
doesn't seem to do anything.  (Linux does report it
to be an unknown NE2000 clone btw.)  Anyone have any
ideas here?

Thanks in advance,
Brian L. Stuart