* [9fans] Re: Who is glenda? (up and running)
@ 2000-06-07 22:13 Russ
From: Russ @ 2000-06-07 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I noticed that plan9.ini is padded to 512 bytes and has \r\n
	DOS styled lines.  If I want to change it do I have to confirm
	to those rules, or are such things transparent.

That made generating the floppy disk easy.
It's not required.

	It seems that 9pcflop.gz contains all the drivers and that
	plan9.ini determines which one is used.

Basically, yes.

	There is no more b.com ?
	There was a size limit in old b.com , is it gone now?

There is still a size limit, but on a simpler program.
Read 9load(8) for all the gore.
plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/8/9load

Russ

* [9fans] Re: Who is glenda? (up and running)
@ 2000-06-07 22:48 Nikola
From: Nikola @ 2000-06-07 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I finally got to read the "Installing the Plan 9 Distribution"
(It was a few years wait that caused some inpatience)
and found some usefull tidbits.

Yes it is /vgainfo.txt that was being written.
But the message is:
aux/vga: dbopen: /lib/vgadb: I/O error

I noticed that plan9.ini is padded to 512 bytes and has \r\n
DOS styled lines.  If I want to change it do I have to confirm
to those rules, or are such things transparent.

Some more questions:
It seems that 9pcflop.gz contains all the drivers and that
plan9.ini determines which one is used.
There is no more b.com ?
There was a size limit in old b.com , is it gone now?

Thanks,
Nikola

* [9fans] Re: Who is glenda? (up and running)
@ 2000-06-07 21:53 Nikola
From: Nikola @ 2000-06-07 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm curious: have you had an earlier
>Plan 9 running on the same box before?
>Russ

No, this is 4Gb NT box with HPFS partition taking the whole
disk, which I can't change. (Or my SA will come with an axe)
I have another box at home with P9/II installed but that will
have to wait till tonight.

Nikola

* [9fans] Re: Who is glenda? (up and running)
@ 2000-06-07 21:17 Nikola
From: Nikola @ 2000-06-07 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should check the earlier Woods work for more hints :-).

One more note.  If you write-protect your boot-floopy
you will still boot, but /lib/vgadb will report I/O error.
It is interesting that after rio is up /lib/vgadb is still empty.
I guess it is written and then truncated or something.

I tried depth 16 and it came as unsupported (Millenium).
With depth 8 I got 640, 1200 and now 1600.
The 640 is unusable due to flickering.
The 1600x1200 works great.

I tried 1800 also, but for the Millenium or for the monitor
I have just a blank screen.  I'll try at home with P815, which
is mentioned to support this resolution, to see which one
is to blame. Monitor I use now is Sun-Sony GDM-5010 which
is supposed to be very high bandwidth, just like P815.

BTW I noticed that ctl-alt-del works the same as c-t c-t r.

I'll have to open this box to put HD in soon.

Thanks again,
Nikola

* [9fans] Re: Who is glenda? (up and running)
@ 2000-06-07 20:40 Russ
From: Russ @ 2000-06-07 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you sure it's /lib/vgadb that is the problem?
Aux/vga will fail trying to write /n/a:/vgainfo.txt for sure.
You need the floppy writable so that the boot process
can do things like write vgainfo.txt (see the troubleshooting
section) and 9inst.cnf (when you save your install
state to resume later).

The Millennium only supports 8-bit mode;
the only cards that support more than 8-bit mode
are the Mach 64 and S3 ViRGE based ones,
and the #9 Ticket to Ride IV (SGI LCD).

As for 1800x1350, that mode is a non-standard
one calculated to push the hardware to its limits;
it's not completely surprising that the p815 entry
doesn't work for the Sony: you'll need to do the
calculations to find out what the Sony should use.

Russ