* [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
@ 2000-06-08 17:43 mike
From: mike @ 2000-06-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

what does AT&T have to do with the plan 9 release?

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
       [not found] <003401bfd182$3a5a18c0$5d0101c8@hcinet>
@ 2000-06-08 22:33 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2000-06-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Michael Jeffrey wrote:

> the boxed set we will produce will include two manuals
> Vol 1 - the man pages
> Vol 2 - the papers
> together with the CD

How much? When? Thanks.

            The future is downloading. Can you hear the impact?

                                        O[rphan] D[rift>]
                                        Cyber Positive

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
@ 2000-06-08 19:46 Michael

From: forsyth @ 2000-06-08 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Don't know - I was just going by the fact that the 2nd release
>>manuals have the AT&T logo on the spine, and were Copyright AT&T.

AT&T split itself into independent bits later, Lucent being one.

>>I am not sure how ownership/responsibility is divided amoungst
>>AT&T, Lucent, Bell Labs, Harcourt Brace, Vita Nuova etc.

Lucent owns Plan 9 and licences it (using the licence you will have
seen on the Bell Labs distribution site).

>>Is it perhaps the case the Harcourt Brace was engaged by AT&T
>>as exclusive packager/distributor for the second release, and
>>Vita Nuova is the first of possibly many non-exclusive
>>packer/distributors of Lucent's release.?

I don't know what the HB arrangement was, but I can say definitively
that we are not `engaged' to do this by Lucent.

>>It isn't obvious to me if Lucent will be printing and selling
>>documentation to resellers and end-users, or if the resellers
>>will be responsible for arranging their own printing.

Vita does its own publishing (we pay someone to do the actual printing
but we prepare the printer-ready files, organise art work, CDs).

* [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
@ 2000-06-08 19:25 rob
From: rob @ 2000-06-08 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucent owns Plan 9 (and Bell Labs) since splitting up with AT&T in 1996.

	Is it perhaps the case the Harcourt Brace was engaged by AT&T
	as exclusive packager/distributor for the second release, and
	Vita Nuova is the first of possibly many non-exclusive
	packer/distributors of Lucent's release.?

That is an accurate picture.

-rob

* [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
@ 2000-06-08 19:18 Digby
From: Digby @ 2000-06-08 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> what does AT&T have to do with the plan 9 release?

Don't know - I was just going by the fact that the 2nd release
manuals have the AT&T logo on the spine, and were Copyright AT&T.

I am not sure how ownership/responsibility is divided amoungst
AT&T, Lucent, Bell Labs, Harcourt Brace, Vita Nuova etc.

Is it perhaps the case the Harcourt Brace was engaged by AT&T
as exclusive packager/distributor for the second release, and
Vita Nuova is the first of possibly many non-exclusive
packer/distributors of Lucent's release.?

It isn't obvious to me if Lucent will be printing and selling
documentation to resellers and end-users, or if the resellers
will be responsible for arranging their own printing.

Regards,
DigbyT
--

@ 2000-06-08 18:50 Digby
From: Digby @ 2000-06-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-06-08 18:07 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-06-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Perhaps these are the manuals mentioned as being included
>>with the forthcoming boxed distribution from
>>Vita Nuova?

you bet.

* [9fans] 3rd edition documentation
@ 2000-06-08 17:28 Digby