* [9fans] File/cpu servers..?
@ 2000-06-15 15:22 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2000-06-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

In context of installing a file and cpu server more
details will be helpful. After terminal install, I do
not see a /386/9pccpudisk. Do I have to nmake one from
sources /sys/src/9/pc? Also, how does one make a file
server boot disk?

- ishwar

>The installation procedure creates a terminal.
>To bring a system up as a standalone cpu server,
>you can just change the kernel it boots
>(type 9fat:, copy /386/9pccpudisk to /n/9fat,
>and then edit /n/9fat/plan9.ini to name 9pccpudisk).
>
>Bringing up a file server is a bit more work
>and currently must be done by hand.  You'd
>have to bring it up with a boot floppy and
>then initialize the file system via the network
>and the file server "allow" command.
>Read update(8) and wrap(8) for info on
>making a boot disk and then extracting the
>plan9.9gz onto the file server.  The command
>used in the install is
>	wrap/inst -ovr /n/kfs plan9.9gz
>You'd of course want to name your file server
>rather than /n/kfs.
>
>Russ

* Re: [9fans] File/cpu servers..?
@ 2000-06-15 15:49 ` Stephen Wynne
From: Stephen Wynne @ 2000-06-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In message <200006151522.LAA09382@pali.cps.cmich.edu>, Ish Rattan writes:

    In context of installing a file and cpu server more
    details will be helpful.

Hi Ishwar,

I'm also awaiting a concise set of instructions for installing a
self-contained terminal/CPU-server/disk-server. It would be ideal if
WORM backups, DNS, and the whole set of Plan9 services could be
functional on one system. I think people at the Labs are working on
getting out a basic document.

Best regards,

Steve

P.S. This may not help much, but to answer your immediate question
about building kernels, Steve Kotsopoulos at
http://www.fywss.com/plan9/info/steve/plan9.admin, suggests this:

    Subject: Compiling kernels

     cd /sys/src/9/pc
     mk 'CONF=pcdisk'

I did this, replaced /386/9pcdisk with the resulting file, and also
ran gzip 9pcdisk to standard out (naming the results 9pcdisk.gz) for a
boot floppy.

* Re: [9fans] File/cpu servers..?
@ 2000-06-16  9:14 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2000-06-16  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:

>   I'm also awaiting a concise set of instructions for installing a
>   self-contained terminal/CPU-server/disk-server. It would be ideal if
>   WORM backups, DNS, and the whole set of Plan9 services could be
>   functional on one system. I think people at the Labs are working on
>   getting out a basic document.
>
> I plan to have such an addendum to the
> Getting Started document late tonight.
>
> For now, I will note the following.
> The intended use of the system is to have
> separate machines for everything -- a file
> server, a cpu server, and terminals.
> That said, it is probably unrealistic
> to expect single users to dedicate a
> minimum of three machines to get a Plan 9
> network going.
>
> There are ways to have a combination
> cpu/auth/file server via kfs, and
> in fact I configured one last night and
> am using a terminal booted from it at

The details for this will be great!!

- ishwar

* Re: [9fans] File/cpu servers..?
@ 2000-06-15 16:18 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-15 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stevemw, 9fans

  I'm also awaiting a concise set of instructions for installing a
  self-contained terminal/CPU-server/disk-server. It would be ideal if
  WORM backups, DNS, and the whole set of Plan9 services could be
  functional on one system. I think people at the Labs are working on
  getting out a basic document.

I plan to have such an addendum to the
Getting Started document late tonight.

For now, I will note the following.
The intended use of the system is to have
separate machines for everything -- a file
server, a cpu server, and terminals.
That said, it is probably unrealistic
to expect single users to dedicate a
minimum of three machines to get a Plan 9
network going.

There are ways to have a combination
cpu/auth/file server via kfs, and
in fact I configured one last night and
am using a terminal booted from it at
the moment.  You currently can't have
WORM-style backups on kfs, though.  For
that you need to run a dedicated file
server, as the WORM management code
lives in the standalone file server code
only.

  I did this, replaced /386/9pcdisk with the resulting file, and also
  ran gzip 9pcdisk to standard out (naming the results 9pcdisk.gz) for a

You'll get an even smaller 9pcdisk.gz if you
do mk 'CONF=pcdisk' 9pcdisk.gz, which strips
the binary en route to gzip.  mk 'CONF=pcdisk' install
installs the kernels too, although as discussed
earlier, you will want to comment out the line
in /sys/src/9/pc/mkfile that tries to toss them
over to "dinar".

Russ