* Re: [9fans] fs configuration with the ether i82557
@ 2000-06-16  3:49 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-06-16  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	>Heya,
	>
	>If you're planning on setting up a fileserver with the i82557 nic,
	>you'll need to edit the code in your /sys/src/fs/<kernel>/ether82557.c
	>file. Currently it only checks and sets for the 100 mbps setup,
	>and otherwise leaves it 0. This unfortunately makes the fileserver's
	>network capabilities nonexistent.
	>
	>Around line 1043 you'll see the conditional:
	>  if(bmcr & 0x2000)
	>    ether->mbps = 100;
	>Add:
	>  else
	>    ether->mbps = 10;
	>
	>and you'll be set.
	>
	>sam

You will find many such inconsistencies in the fileserver code. Because
the code was developed from a much earlier version of Plan 9 it is always
a pain to add or update drivers and the lack of enthusiasm shows.
Fortunately we don't need to fiddle with it often.

After I return from Usenix and am laid-off from my work as Customer
Service Rep. in the Plan 9 Fulfillment Centre I plan to do some work on
the fileserver kernel and address some of the inconsistencies.

--jim

* [9fans] fs configuration with the ether i82557
@ 2000-06-15 21:08 Sam Hopkins