* Re: [9fans] Redistribution
@ 2000-06-16 13:52 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-16 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	But note that these export restrictions only apply to compiled binaries.
	If you want to, e.g., provide a CVS archive of the Plan 9 source code,
	all you have to do to comply with the export regulations is notify the
	appropriate folks (I suggest going through the crypto registration tee
	at crypto.com so that other people know that you have cryptographic
	source code for download).

If you know how to honor the government requirements on crypto
stuff, then feel free to provide the crypto sources to your users.
I don't claim to understand the rules; I just know how we met them.

You still have to honor our license, and that includes making
people agree to it.

	I won't comment on the whole license restrictions thingy, except to note
	that dozens of other major corporations have no problem with providing
	their software via a Mozilla-type license like the Plan 9 license
	without having to go through some sort of license front end.

Requiring a clicked check box next to a link to our license before you
let users at the source does not strike me as an onerous burden.
It's what happens with just about every piece of software I download
nowadays.

-rob