I'm not surprised in either case. Our httpd has never been sped up. It runs a separate process for each request and caches nothing. I never looked inside apache so I don't know what it does. When you said that you'ld set the listen qlen to 10, how did you do that in Plan 9? Ours is fixed at 5 (a mistake which I will correct as soon as I'm back home for a while). You can increase it by changing the constant Maxincall in /sys/src/9/ip/ip.h. Given that you were constantly fetching the same file, I doubt that much of the time was the file server process. I'm assuming that you mounted the file server cached.