* [9fans] auth/cpu vga problems
@ 2000-07-04 10:29 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I followed the instructions for creating an auth/cpu server
but can not get rio to run on the cpu server.

I've added calls to aux/mouse and aux/vga in cpurc, but
aux/vga dies with the error

aux/vga: vgactlw: <hwgc rgb524hwgc>: bad arg in system call

The vgadb line for the card is "Stealth 64 Video VRAM 3.00".

The vga works with no problems when running as a terminal, it is
only when running as a CPU server that things don't work.
What's going on?

Also, what is the status of the kfs patch that will allow the same machine to
be used as a cpu/auth/fileserver?

Ian

* Re: [9fans] auth/cpu vga problems
@ 2000-07-05 16:11 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, 9fans

> it didn't seem to work
>  anyway when I tried it (was lib/profile executed? or just aborted after
>  some earlier error...?).
>
>It should work.
>When you create a new user, though,
>you need to run /sys/lib/newuser

I did that anyway.

But lib/profile is still not read because
according to init.c, if running as a cpu then it should
execute /bin/rc with no arguments (ie no -l or -c to
make it read bootes' profile).

Secondly, when I run lib/profile manually, I get
3 bind errors:
bind: /mnt/term/dev/cons: file does not exist
bind: /mnt/term/dev/consctl: file does not exist
bind: /mnt/term/dev: file does not exist

@ 2000-07-05 14:57 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ianb, 9fans

  But when running rio on the CPU server, it is of course runs
  as bootes. Therefore a proper account for bootes needs to be created
  and so on. This seems a bit wierd to me and it didn't seem to work
  anyway when I tried it (was lib/profile executed? or just aborted after
  some earlier error...?).

It should work.
When you create a new user, though,
you need to run /sys/lib/newuser (as the
new user!) at first boot, to initialize things
like your profile.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] auth/cpu vga problems
@ 2000-07-05 14:35 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-05 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>You need to change the configuration of
>the cpu server kernel by editing /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk.
>If you compare it with /sys/src/9/pcdisk, you'll
>see that it has fewer VGA drivers; in particular
>it lacks yours (vgargb524).

Thankyou.

But when running rio on the CPU server, it is of course runs
as bootes. Therefore a proper account for bootes needs to be created
and so on. This seems a bit wierd to me and it didn't seem to work
anyway when I tried it (was lib/profile executed? or just aborted after
some earlier error...?).

What is the best thing to do?

Ian