* [9fans] bootstrapping onto sgi indigo
@ 2000-07-11 12:39 Ivan Rayner
From: Ivan Rayner @ 2000-07-11 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have an SGI Indigo R4000 sitting here and I think it'd be fun to get
Plan9 installed onto it.  So I've gone through the FAQ and the plan9
pages at bell labs, and I've read many times how it will work on MIPS
and it might even work on this Indigo.

But I can't see any way to just download the source and I can't find
any documentation on how to get it up an running on anything other than
intel.  I downloaded the 50meg plan9.9gz file but can't find a way to
extract the files inside it.  (I thought I saw a script to do the
extraction posted to this newsgroup a while ago, but either I imagined
it, or my newsserver has dumped it.)

Please don't tell me I have to install it onto an intel box first...

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner
ivanr@melbourne.sgi.com

* Re: [9fans] bootstrapping onto sgi indigo
@ 2000-07-11 13:20 ` Steve Kotsopoulos
From: Steve Kotsopoulos @ 2000-07-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Rayner; +Cc: 9fans

Ivan Rayner wrote:
> I have an SGI Indigo R4000 sitting here and I think it'd be fun to get
> Plan9 installed onto it.  So I've gone through the FAQ and the plan9
> pages at bell labs, and I've read many times how it will work on MIPS
> and it might even work on this Indigo.
>
> But I can't see any way to just download the source and I can't find
> any documentation on how to get it up an running on anything other than
> intel.  I downloaded the 50meg plan9.9gz file but can't find a way to
> extract the files inside it.  (I thought I saw a script to do the
> extraction posted to this newsgroup a while ago, but either I imagined
> it, or my newsserver has dumped it.)

You can extract plan9.9gz with the unwrap script at
http://www.fywss.com/plan9/unix/

> Please don't tell me I have to install it onto an intel box first...

You will have to install it onto an intel box first,
because only intel binaries are included in the distribution.

There is source for a closely-related machine in the source tree,
under /sys/src/9/carrera; that will provide a starting point for your port.