From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] file server problems
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:09:49 -0400	[thread overview]

> We've got a wizzy file server that supports time travel.  Let's use
> that instead.

In fact, I have a wizzy backup system that
takes snapshots of a local file system every
night (or whenever) but only saves files that have changed.
A ``more work than it's worth per-file dump''
as it were.

Of course there's something to mount them
and poke around as though you had a real
dump file server.

The really Neat Thing™ is you can make
ISO9660 file systems out of them (and then
write them to CDs).  The file systems are
crosslinked up the wazoo, but the directory
structure is what you'd expect:
/2000/0713/usr/rsc, etc.

I've only done small tests, but it's
pretty neat.  Still a couple interface things
to work out.

The CVS port I did was so I could work on a project
here at school without going through Linux to check
out the files.  I'll post a pointer to it as well as some
other random ports (Noweb, Moscow ML) a bit later.

Russ