From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9v3 won't start (PBS...Bad format or I/O error)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:51:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 10:11:04AM -0400, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> 	>really, invest in a good three
> 	>button mouse.
> 	>: anothy;
>
> of course, that's correct. however, can someone suggest where such a mouse can
> be found? my old left-handed logitechs are wearing out.

You'll hate this :-)  I have just collected five 3-button logitechs, four
of them square (I already have two of those) and one sligthly oval, all of
them symmetric.  And I can probably get more, 'cause the crowd I got them
from seem to get them with some obsolete computers they buy to run MS-DOS
(PABX monitoring software) on, and have no use whatesoever for them.

The price?  Zilch, 'cept one of them has lost one of those nylon feet that
probably make all the difference.  I guess I'll have to keep that one for
spares.  Sadly, it is probably not worth it to send you a few, as it will
cost too much in shipping.

BTW, I understand that recent releases of XFree86 can treat the new
generation of mice (the ones with the rather female appearance, if you'll
excuse the indelicacy) as if they were multibutton, doing all sorts of
clever things like scrolling and the like.  I've seen it in action, and
it was quite impressive, although I must confess I don't understand quite
how it was done.

And,
> --jim

I haven't forgotten about the odd 3C509 adapter, in fact, I tried it out,
and got it to work perfectly well by selecting the medium in advance (BNC
- my office is almost intentionally anti-diluvian).  I guess there are a
few specimens out there that do not obey the incantations you take them
through.

If I wasn't using the card right now, I'd be playing with it more.  I do
have the results (roughly) of setting the debug option, but they weren't
terribly informative (to me).

As soon as I get a chance to look again, I'll be a little more thorough.

Another thing: I see that we're requested to notify "trouble" about
nodummyrr's we find.  I have a few such ethernet adapters here, but
they are pretty old and poorly labelled.  On the other hand, my old
Plan 9 installation has been running off them all along, and curiously,
the FS kernel did not seem to need the qualifier.  I thought it would
be worth mentioning, it may be preferable if the 3rd edition FS kernel
were more consistent :-)

Now let me go back to figure out why kenji can access his 2nd edition
and I just get "AS protocol botch"es when I try :-(

++L