From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9v3 won't start (PBS...Bad format or I/O error)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 05:47:45 +0200	[thread overview]

To which, on Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:31:24AM +0000, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> I also used the (troubled) 3c509 card for BNC connector, where I have
> some reason which might not be concerned with others, probably. ?
> So, you mean that the 2nd edition can detect automatically where is
> the wire, but the new release not?  I suppose I set the card BNC intentionally
> though...  It's now over my memory.

No, these are two distinct problems.  I have solved (?!) the 2ed problem
more by chance than intent, and I now (module electrical power problems)
can access the 2ed CPU and file servers moderately adequately (I would
love to have drawterm help along there).

As for the 3c509, I think the problem is two-fold, again.  There must be
some etherlink III cards that work with Jim's code out the box.  But the
one I have and kenji's don't, they either need to have the medium fixed
or they _may_ work with the 2ed drivers.  Yet others, apparently equal,
work in autoselect mode.

I'll have to study the adapter more closely (or ship it to Jim) to
figure out what's up.  Not having a working version is a problem, but
NetBSD seems to cope OK, so perhaps I can use that to compare notes.

++L