From: "Stephen C. Harris" <sharris@sch1.NCTR.FDA.GOV>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] command history
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:16:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Anthony Sorace <anothy@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> //is it possible to use history and command completion with rc?
>
> no. rc has neither of these functions. history is the job of the
> windowing system - simply snarf your previous commands, edit in
> place, send them down... it's much better than the history built
> into most shells

Except if there's a lot of output, or you want to go back more than one
command, it's sometimes hard to find your previous command in the first
place.

As for snarfing commands before sending, that doesn't work if you
want to go back several commands.  And I usually don't know I need to
redo a command until I see something weird later in its output or
elsewhere.

What about having a keystroke or something which just scrolls rc's window
back and positions the cursor exactly on the previous command ?  Hit it
multiple times and scroll back to earlier commands.  Then you could edit
them in place and send them just as before.  I had been thinking I might
try it as a way of learning rio.

Or is there some way of doing something similar already?

ciao,

- Steve Harris