From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:43:38 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:18:36AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> it seems a bit pointless to implement the transport without being
> able to replay the sounds it contains.

Not altogether, one may want to record it, or perhaps we can figure a
way to pipe to a win box, if there's no other option.  Consider that
squid is not entirely superfluous :-)

I think we should look at a browser that has the facilities for
plug-ins, make the latter as simple as possible and let history takes
its course.

I think it was Diamond that eventually regretted their decision not to
disclose to the XFree86 boffs how their VGA adapters operated.

And, I hasten to add, if we have the infrastructure in place, we can
easily ride the wave of supply meeting demand (consider CSS as a case
in point) currently being driven by the Linux community.  But we do
need to build the foundations for it (and a little more, when it comes
to web browsers and, I'd like to repeat, graphic rendering engines).

++L

PS: I think this forum has been wonderful in one particular respect,
namely in discouraging kitchen-sinkenitis, with sensible reasoning.
I'd like to see more ideas being proposed here, and the same careful
consideration given to them.  There are many neophytes that, not
unlike me, still do not altogether grasp the philosophy behind Plan 9
and I believe it does not hurt to emphasise it by example on a regular
basis.  There are also many capable developers that only need some
encouragement to take Plan 9 further.