* [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-18 19:03 Stephen Harris
From: Stephen Harris @ 2000-07-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Someone was asking about Gecko, which is the layout/rendering engine
used by Mozilla.

There is a small, working web browser thinly built around Gecko alone,
without the Mozilla baggage. It's called Galeon and is starting to
become popular.  It's at http://galeon.sourceforge.net

Supposedly supports all the latest web standards.

It's about 250k for the compressed source.  Don't know about the libraries
it requires.

-- Steve Harris

      Everything you do from now on will be more fun - Windows 95 installation

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-18 20:23 miller
From: miller @ 2000-07-18 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Supposedly supports all the latest web standards.
                              --------------------

Whose?

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-18 22:33 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-18 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> W3's.  Really.  :)
I know I can look this up myself, but... does W3 propose a
Javascript standard?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-18 23:02 forsyth
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-18 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

are the real-audio and flash web formats documented somewhere?

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-19  7:18 forsyth
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-19  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>are the real-audio and flash web formats documented somewhere?

>Internals of the RA/RV are proprietary and their formats are not publicly
>available. RealMedia is the container type which encapsulates RA/RV

much more as i expected (which is why i asked).
i knew about the stream format (more or less) because that's publicly documented.
some web content that end users want to have is not.
it's only available via binary plug-ins, and some -- perhaps many -- of those
only work under windows (and sometimes only within
a browser, though that might not be true of realaudio).
by `format' i meant the whole thing.
it seems a bit pointless to implement the transport without being
able to replay the sounds it contains.

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-20  1:41 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-20  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a summer student, Jeff Brown, working with me to try
some of these ideas out.  There are already indications that
some of the parts will work out well, and also that we have
seriously underestimated what's involved in others.  I hope
to have something trivial but functional before long.  Once
I am comfortable with the overall architecture, I'll lob the
code over the wall and see if we can get some critical mass
on the project.

Web access is very important.  Web browsers are very useful.
But if you stop there, you're missing a lot of opportunity.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-20  4:05 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-07-20  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Someone just pointed out 'hget ...|awk ...' would do what I was talking
about. Yes, I did know about it, but perhaps I should explain some of
the advantages I could see coming out of a web retrieval engine.

I realize a lot of this could be built into a stand alone binary, I
just don't see the point of doing that instead of an easier to navigate
fs-style server.  In any case, after this I won't harp on the subject
any more.

cache   A cache is a wonderful thing. This is from my point of view
        as one of the poor schmos who gets paged when Science Magazine
        has an article or three that a million people want *right now.*
        A few weeks ago they published a breaking article about water
        on Mars, an article about some new AIDS research, and an article
        about dinosaurs who had feathers.  This brought the merry hordes
        breaking down our door, and we were seeing 30 hits per second
        sustained for 48 hours.

proxy   You start up webfs on your firewall machine, and export the
        service to everyone on the local net.  They bind the firewall's
        /webfs to their own root, and off they go (taking advantage of
        the cache, and not having to futz with http vs https proxys like
        might have to in netscape)

past    Anyone else thing that IE actually has a pretty spiffy history
        of last visted links?  The break down into Yesterday, Last Week,
        2 Weeks Ago, etc., is a lot nicer than NS's default history buffer.
        Imagine what you could do in terms of an fs system:

        diff /webfs/past/20000718/bmj.com/index.dtl /webfs/now/bmj.com/index.dtl

        Of course I don't pretend to know how one can handle the file
        heirarchy stuff.  As I wrote to someone in private e-mail
        awhile ago, I don't think that just because a url has a '/'
        that it should automatically be a candidate for an fs storage
        heirarchy.  But I do agree that a LOT of it CAN be mapped.
        What if you could do searches in the cache of places you've
        visited over the past few weeks? For example, you remember
        seeing a real nice algorithm, but you now you've forgotten some
        important detail. You can visit Google and comb the web again,
        but if you know it's somewhere in that cache on local fs...

anon    I can't remember if it was Bell Labs or AT&T Labs, but someone at
        one of those places wrote about a neat proxy server which helped
        protect your identity.  You browsed via the proxy, and it
        would subsitute codes like '\@u' which you POST to forms with
        an expanded username like 'anon10007' or what-not.  It could
        generate a unique e-mail address for each '\@e' sent domains so
        that you could tell which corperation sold your e-mail address.

junk    Anyone else use the junkbuster? It strips out banner ads and other
        ad junk, replacing graphics with a transparent gif (and since
        it is transparent it can expand to the size of the gif it's
        replacing without looking weird). So sites look normal, but you
        don't have to view the ads.  It also ignores HREF to places
        like doubleclick.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to write a
        set of common rules to control such features, and allow users
        to bind their own /webfs/junkbuster/rules into place?

secure  Strip out postscript or junk javascript according to default or
        user rules.

I guess all these are variations on a theme. Like I said, I understand
you can do all this in a stand alone binary. But for me it just seems to
call out for a fs style approach -- I'm under the impression that it would
be easier to manage than a bazillion command line options like wget has:

        ; wget --help
        GNU Wget 1.5.3, a non-interactive network retriever.
        Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

        Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.

        Startup:
          -V,  --version           display the version of Wget and exit.
          -h,  --help              print this help.
          -b,  --background        go to background after startup.
          -e,  --execute=COMMAND   execute a `.wgetrc' command.

        Logging and input file:
          -o,  --output-file=FILE     log messages to FILE.
          -a,  --append-output=FILE   append messages to FILE.
          -d,  --debug                print debug output.
          -q,  --quiet                quiet (no output).
          -v,  --verbose              be verbose (this is the default).
          -nv, --non-verbose          turn off verboseness, without being quiet.
          -i,  --input-file=FILE      read URL-s from file.
          -F,  --force-html           treat input file as HTML.

        Download:
          -t,  --tries=NUMBER           set number of retries to NUMBER (0 unlimits).
          -O   --output-document=FILE   write documents to FILE.
          -nc, --no-clobber             don't clobber existing files.
          -c,  --continue               restart getting an existing file.
               --dot-style=STYLE        set retrieval display style.
          -N,  --timestamping           don't retrieve files if older than local.
          -S,  --server-response        print server response.
               --spider                 don't download anything.
          -T,  --timeout=SECONDS        set the read timeout to SECONDS.
          -w,  --wait=SECONDS           wait SECONDS between retrievals.
          -Y,  --proxy=on/off           turn proxy on or off.
          -Q,  --quota=NUMBER           set retrieval quota to NUMBER.

        Directories:
          -nd  --no-directories            don't create directories.
          -x,  --force-directories         force creation of directories.
          -nH, --no-host-directories       don't create host directories.
          -P,  --directory-prefix=PREFIX   save files to PREFIX/...
               --cut-dirs=NUMBER           ignore NUMBER remote directory components.

        HTTP options:
               --http-user=USER      set http user to USER.
               --http-passwd=PASS    set http password to PASS.
          -C,  --cache=on/off        (dis)allow server-cached data (normally allowed).
               --ignore-length       ignore `Content-Length' header field.
               --header=STRING       insert STRING among the headers.
               --proxy-user=USER     set USER as proxy username.
               --proxy-passwd=PASS   set PASS as proxy password.
          -s,  --save-headers        save the HTTP headers to file.
          -U,  --user-agent=AGENT    identify as AGENT instead of Wget/VERSION.

        FTP options:
               --retr-symlinks   retrieve FTP symbolic links.
          -g,  --glob=on/off     turn file name globbing on or off.
               --passive-ftp     use the "passive" transfer mode.

        Recursive retrieval:
          -r,  --recursive             recursive web-suck -- use with care!.
          -l,  --level=NUMBER          maximum recursion depth (0 to unlimit).
               --delete-after          delete downloaded files.
          -k,  --convert-links         convert non-relative links to relative.
          -m,  --mirror                turn on options suitable for mirroring.
          -nr, --dont-remove-listing   don't remove `.listing' files.

        Recursive accept/reject:
          -A,  --accept=LIST                list of accepted extensions.
          -R,  --reject=LIST                list of rejected extensions.
          -D,  --domains=LIST               list of accepted domains.
               --exclude-domains=LIST       comma-separated list of rejected domains.
          -L,  --relative                   follow relative links only.
               --follow-ftp                 follow FTP links from HTML documents.
          -H,  --span-hosts                 go to foreign hosts when recursive.
          -I,  --include-directories=LIST   list of allowed directories.
          -X,  --exclude-directories=LIST   list of excluded directories.
          -nh, --no-host-lookup             don't DNS-lookup hosts.
          -np, --no-parent                  don't ascend to the parent directory.

        Mail bug reports and suggestions to <bug-wget@gnu.org>.

* Re: [9fans] Gecko based web browser
@ 2000-07-26 17:43 miller
From: miller @ 2000-07-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What about considering a means of running NS or IE on a separate
> `server' box and pulling or pushing that across to Plan 9?  Initially,
> something like VNC (Virtual Network Computer) might suffice.

I think a few of us are already doing exactly that ...