* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20  7:23 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-20  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>planning to build my own rc on Linux and link in Gnu Readline per
>>suggestion of someone here just recently.

why a program that filters all typed input, rather than building it into every shell
(and every other program that wants it)?  it will be harder than on plan 9,
but it shouldn't be impossible.

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20 14:25 ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2000-07-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk writes:

>why not a program that filters all typed input, rather than building it
>into every shell (and every other program that wants it)?  it will be
>harder than on plan 9, but it shouldn't be impossible.

that's exactly what ile does.

I reccommended readline over ile because readline seems to be without
bugs and is very actively supported by FSF, the 300,000 or so
programmers who rely on it and all Linux distributions.  ile, OTOH,
seems to have fewer than 100-500 users, and the most recent ile I could
hunt up, 2.7, doesnt have one of readline's affordances, the one I
appreciate the most, and does something funky with tab characters
appearing on stdout.

its not like either readline or ile is the Right Thing: they're both
stopgap measures to make Unix slightly more tolerable.

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20 15:06     ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-07-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

>It may be difficult to synchronize prompts.
>Note that the shell would not put prompt when the input is
filtered.

Sorry I misunderstood what forsyth said.

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20 14:26   ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2000-07-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Lucio De Re writes:

>                                                  Anything that
>interposes a pty between the actual tty and the destination can manage
>it.  I'm not even sure that that isn't the way readline does it.

readline's a library.  ile interposes a pty.

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20 14:10   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-07-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

>> i meant, of course, `why not ...'.
[snip]

@ 2000-07-20  8:14 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-07-20  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 08:44:32AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> >>why a program that filters all typed input, rather than building it into every shell
>
> i meant, of course, `why not ...'.

Hm.  Expect would do it more or less trivially, I should imagine, and,
in RIO style, it oughtn't to be hard to do it in Xterm.  Anything that
interposes a pty between the actual tty and the destination can manage
it.  I'm not even sure that that isn't the way readline does it.

I presume the reason it hasn't been done is more that one can't satisfy
everyone, rather than it being impossible.  Of course, the readline
library is dynamically linkable :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20  7:44 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-20  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>why a program that filters all typed input, rather than building it into every shell

i meant, of course, `why not ...'.

* [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20  6:58 ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2000-07-20  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin DeVilbiss, 9fans

Colin DeVilbiss writes:

>I am currently using a Redhat 5.X install of linux as my primary
>environment, and I recently discovered plan9 and would like to go for
>the ``full compatibility'' suite insofar as it is possible (wily
>(check), sam (check), 9wm (check), 9term (no check)).

dont forget rc.

my RedHat 4.2 CD contains a solid port of rc.  I dont use it because I'm
addicted to Gnu Readline's file-completion affordances.  but I'm

@ 2000-07-20  3:28 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-07-20  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Colin DeVilbiss wrote:

> hi; sorry if there is a 9term-fans somewhere, but I don't know where it
> is.
> I am currently using a Redhat 5.X install of linux as my primary
> environment, and I recently discovered plan9 and would like to go for
> the ``full compatibility'' suite insofar as it is possible (wily
> (check), sam (check), 9wm (check), 9term (no check)).
>
> however, I am having the damnedest time wrestling with the
> source/Makefiles from the 9term distro (1.6.6) to get it to install. (I
> have an apparently working 9libs install with wily and sam running
> successfully).

9term, now there's a badly written piece a junk.  i hacked it
a lot (on ultrix) so that it wouldn't call ioctl() on _every_
keystroke (yes i'd found some undocumented ultrix pty 'features'
to help me out).  god, that program was awful.  the goal, ok.
the implementation?  the phrase 'thow up on your shoes' springs
to mind.

it was painful, i had time, jack daniels and ISDN.

--
Boyd Roberts                            boyd@psycho-basket-case.org

     ``I come over here to kill them cocksuckers, not work for 'em''

           -- Moon Dog, _Pettibone's Law_, John Keene

* Re: [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20  3:23 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-07-20  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin DeVilbiss, 9fans

> any help or pointers to updated source or anything of the sort would be
> much appreciated.

Get the source from the Debian folks. They maintain a version that
compiles (with lots of warnings, but it works).  As I recall, the only
stuff I had to change was to muck about with pty.c. The messy stuff was
dealing with the ttmode flags (gawd that code is UGLY):

/*
 *	Get the original modes from a (pseudo)-tty.
 *	Supply a default value if we can't.
 */
void
gttymodes(int fd)
{
	modenames *mp;

 #ifdef LINUX
        ttmode.c_iflag = (BRKINT | IGNPAR | ICRNL | IXON);
        ttmode.c_oflag = (OPOST | ONLRET);
        /*ttmode.c_cflag = (B9600 | PARENB | CS8 | CREAD);*/
        ttmode.c_cflag = (B9600 | CS8 | CREAD);
        ttmode.c_lflag = (ISIG | ICANON | ECHO | ECHOK);
 #else

Ugh.

* [9fans] 9term?
@ 2000-07-20  2:14 Colin DeVilbiss
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Colin DeVilbiss @ 2000-07-20  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi; sorry if there is a 9term-fans somewhere, but I don't know where it
is.
I am currently using a Redhat 5.X install of linux as my primary
environment, and I recently discovered plan9 and would like to go for
the ``full compatibility'' suite insofar as it is possible (wily
(check), sam (check), 9wm (check), 9term (no check)).

however, I am having the damnedest time wrestling with the
source/Makefiles from the 9term distro (1.6.6) to get it to install. (I
have an apparently working 9libs install with wily and sam running
successfully).

any help or pointers to updated source or anything of the sort would be
much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

--
Colin DeVilbiss