* Re: [9fans] UID and GID renumbering
@ 2000-07-20 14:43 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, lucio

	Just how dangerous is it to renumber the entries in /adm/users?
	I need to know what kind of crises I may trigger, broadly.

The numbers in /adm/users are used in the
on-disk structures in both kfs and the real
file server.  Unless you're going to rewrite
the file system, you probably need to leave it as is.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] UID and GID renumbering
@ 2000-07-20 14:56 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-07-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:43:53AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> 	Just how dangerous is it to renumber the entries in /adm/users?
> 	I need to know what kind of crises I may trigger, broadly.
>
> The numbers in /adm/users are used in the
> on-disk structures in both kfs and the real
> file server.  Unless you're going to rewrite
> the file system, you probably need to leave it as is.

Let me ask a different question, then: I installed the 3ed
distribution effectively using the existing 2ed /adm/users, with the
result that /usr/glenda is reported as owned by adm.  I think this is
not serious, but what I can't quite pinpoint is which of upas=10001
and upas=10003 (old /adm/users) is the case.

My proxima replacement for bootes is another candidate for
straightening out, it was =2 in the 2ed system, and it's not even in
the /adm/users file in the 3ed distribution, understandably, since the
file is not used by the file server.

++L

* [9fans] UID and GID renumbering
@ 2000-07-20 14:25 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-07-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just how dangerous is it to renumber the entries in /adm/users?

I'm trying to synchronise my 2ed and 3ed file services, and at the
same time I would like to undo some uninformed decisions I made
previously in the light of more sensible ones in the 3ed distribution.