From: Stephen C Harris <scharris@worldnet.att.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] APE or not  for PostgreSQL
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:20:06 -0500	[thread overview]

I'm considering having a go at porting PostgreSQL database to Plan 9.

The goal is to provide a SQL query service where one writes a query
to a "newquery" file and gets back a resultset directory, much
like one obtains a tcp connection directory.  The directory will have a
control file for moving in the result set and doing transaction control,

and a file for each field of the resultset under a "data" directory,
through
which one can read and write the current record in the result set.

My question is whether or not to just try and port it to the APE
emulation
environment or to go "full Plan 9"?  Does the APE environment limit the
ways in which one can provide a 9P service in any way? In other words,
can I link to whatever other Plan9 libraries I'd like to and use them
with impunity if I compile under APE?

There are only a handful of select() calls in the code, and no
mmap() calls, so the native Plan 9 port may not be too
bad.  It seems to use a process-per-connection model and not
pthreads, which is another win. Anybody know any other calls to watch
out for that might influence my decision?

Steve Harris