From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] The IPv6 in Plan9
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:14:54 -0400	[thread overview]

I started an ipv6 stack and got disgusted.  I decided I'ld wait until there
was someone worth talking to using it to finish.  I'll probably get back to it
soon unless someone beats me to the draw.

My general take on v6 it does a bunch of things differently, many better than
v4, but , except for the increased address space, none are compelling.  There
still is no real reason for ISP's to switch to it.  Big servers definitely
can't switch to it or they'll lose their customer base, at best they'll have
to go dual stack and all that does for them is double their administrative costs.

Perhaps something like NAPSTER will cause more people to need unique
addresses, but until then it makes more sense for an ISP to provide
large scale NAT and reverse NAT services.  If they're serious about
going to IPv6 they're going to have to provide protocol/address translation
services anyways as the world switches over so a move to wider area NAT
would be good practice until then.