From: rog@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] inferno
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:59:49 +0100	[thread overview]

> wow, charon really does paint some nice images on my stats' load section
> :)
>
> unfortunately it does not want to render slashdot at all....
>
> bummer, I guess I have to find another way of displaying this site, or
> simply go to a different 'news for nerds' locale

this is news to me, as i've been rendering slashdot under charon for a
good few months now.

but now you point it out, the rendering code does in fact break when
rendering slashdot with its default settings.  (it didn't before,
honest! (but that's the web for you)) it appears that the reason that
we hadn't noticed the problem is that all of us have customised the
slashdot display settings in some way or other.

i just worked out a fix, which is to use some other web browser to
customise your display settings (i use "Light" because i care more
about fast download than pretty graphics), and then go straight to
http://slashdot.com/users.pl and log in. *before* charon displays the
new page (which also breaks it :-]), type "slashdot.com" in the URL
entry field.

this should then display without breaking. if you then quit charon, the
cookies will be saved, and from then on you ought to be able to read
slashdot without problems. i just tried it and it seems to work.

that's fine for *reading* slashdot, but currently posting doesn't work,
which is annoying. we plan to fix this, and other charon problems.
(but, sadly, this is the web - a bug-free browser is an unattainable
ideal)

oh, and if you're really keen, you have the source, and a debugger!
you're free to fix it yourself!

  cheers,
    rog.