* Re: [9fans] SMB -> 9P
@ 2000-09-19 13:07 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-19 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's not too bad if you work from the documents and only
glance at other implementations for the undocumented bits,
and do the name service -- if needed -- by adding an interface to the existing
one instead of including a privately hacked copy of BIND (well,
that's what it looked like to me at the time).

as these things go it's possibly easier and more worthwhile than NFS.
as a protocol it's a bit silly because it mixes everything together.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1368 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] SMB -> 9P
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:40:06 -0400

	but coding it?  what a ghastly prospect.

I really don't think it would be that bad.
Certainly better than say vga.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] SMB -> 9P
@ 2000-09-19 12:40 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	but coding it?  what a ghastly prospect.

I really don't think it would be that bad.
Certainly better than say vga.

Russ

* [9fans] SMB -> 9P
@ 2000-09-19 11:01 boyd.roberts
From: boyd.roberts @ 2000-09-19 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have to agree with russ.  start with a simple single threaded
server and then move on.  but coding it?  what a ghastly prospect.
i guess you could port samba, but that would require a lot of JD
or a hefty supply of anti-emetics.