From: Richard Uhtenwoldt <ru@ohio.river.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Adding history to Rio's windows
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:25:44 -0700	[thread overview]

Skip Tavakkolian writes:
>History of 'history': The rc script that Russ Cox posted a while back
>(named " and attributed to Killian) performs the function for what I am
>proposing here. This is a raw idea for supporting it in Rio.
>
>The UI part is similar to how Sam keeps previously searched for patterns
>in the menu; It is not "history" in the shell sense (the last n commands),
>but a list that keeps the last n snarf buffers that have been sent to the
>process using the middle button menu's 'send' command. Like so:
>
>+----------+
>| cut      |
>| paste    |
>| snarf    |
>| plumb    |
>| send     |
>| scroll   |
>|~~~~~~~~  |
>| grep -.. |
>+----------+

If I understand correctly, even without the " and "" commands, the user
already has access to the historical inputs: namely, the user can scroll
backwards in the Rio window (aka, text buffer) and, as soon as the
desired input becomes visible, can select it with the mouse and resend
it.  the difficulty is that the historical inputs are interleaved with
many lines of historical outputs, making the inputs tedious to search
through.  one way to ease that tedium would be a command that toggles
the Rio window into a state in which only inputs are displayed (and thus
searching through the inputs is easier).

ie, the commands cause Rio's "redisplay routine" to omit
displaying historical outputs.