* [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-18  3:49 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-10-18  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

Thanks for new release.

My PC with 9pccpudisk (latest kernel) cannot run rio.
This is because:
	ls '#i'
	ls: #i no frame buffer

By the way, /sys/src/9/pc/pccpu (both previous and latest)
does not support rio.
Is there any reason?

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-23  9:01   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-10-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Christopher Nielsen wrote:
> FYI, I have a builtin frame buffer on the motherboard. I've
> attempted to disable it through the BIOS setup, but I don't
> see anywhere to do so. My frame buffer is an ATI Xpert98.

There is almost certainly some menu item to disable the
built-in video support.  On the ASUS CUSL2 (which I highly
recommend) it's in Chip Configuration, Onboard VGA.  Also
under PCI configuration it has VGA BIOS Sequence which
determined which of AGP and PCI has precedence.

* Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-18 17:29 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-18 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this shows the importance of reading the message carefully
(on the odd times when it isn't `file does not exist'!)
oops.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1359 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:31:19 -0400

The
	ls: #i no frame buffer
error is likely due to no memory being reserved for the image arena
on cpuservers (see /sys/src/9/pc/main.c:/^confinit)

--jim

* Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-18 12:31 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-10-18 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-10-18 10:03 ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2000-10-18 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> add
>
> 	draw		screen vga vgax
> 	mouse		mouse
> 	vga
>
> to the dev section of the configuration file
> and add a suitable selection of the following
>
> 	vga3dfx		+cur
> 	vgaark2000pv	+cur
> 	vgabt485	=cur
> 	vgaclgd542x	+cur
> 	vgaclgd546x	+cur
> 	vgact65545	+cur
> 	vgacyber938x	+cur
> 	vgahiqvideo	+cur
> 	vgamach64xx	+cur
> 	vgamga2164w	+cur
> 	vganeomagic	+cur
> 	vgargb524	=cur
> 	vgas3		+cur vgasavage
> 	vgat2r4		+cur
> 	vgatvp3020	=cur
> 	vgatvp3026	=cur
>
> to the misc section

Yep. I have all that. Still no dice.

I'm not all that concerned about it, since as you pointed
out in your previous message, I'm not really interested in
having users logged in with display/mouse/keyboard on the
console of my auth server.

It was just a curiosity that I thought I'd test.

--
Christopher Nielsen
cnielsen@pobox.com

* Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-18  9:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-10-18  9:45 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-10-18  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cpu servers `normally' haven't a user logged in at a
full graphics display and keyboard, thus having #i just
wastes space.  (even so, you might like to run stats, i suppose.)

you can configure it by copying the appropriate bits from pc or pcdisk

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1576 bytes --]

From: arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:49:54 0900

@ 2000-10-18  9:44 ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2000-10-18  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Russ Cox wrote:

> You need to recompile pccpudisk and pccpu
> to list the video card you have.  Compare
> /sys/src/9/pc/pcdisk with /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk.

I'm having the same problem. I added my card to
/sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk, but it still doesn't find the fram
buffer.

FYI, I have a builtin frame buffer on the motherboard. I've
attempted to disable it through the BIOS setup, but I don't
see anywhere to do so. My frame buffer is an ATI Xpert98.

Is the internal frame buffer causing the kernel to not
recognise the frame buffer in the PCI slot?

--
Christopher Nielsen
cnielsen@pobox.com

* Re: [9fans] 9pucpudisk
@ 2000-10-18  4:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-10-18  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need to recompile pccpudisk and pccpu
to list the video card you have.  Compare
/sys/src/9/pc/pcdisk with /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk.

Russ