We're already redoing the fs to run off of the same kernel. The reason for the current dichotomy is that ken was doing the file server while the rest of us were doing the normal kernel. We started from some common code but that didn't last very long. We've lived with the situation because Ken was willing to do all the work on the fs side and didn't feel comfortable with the rate of change in our kernels, i.e., the file server had to be solid, our lives depended on it, while the other kernels just had to be up long enough to edit and compile the next kernel. Now that ken is leaving, we're going to have one kernel. It also means that we can use the same IP stack on both sides, which will be a big win.