* Re: [9fans] Re: building drawterm on IRIX.
@ 2000-11-10 11:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-11-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>	1. Is there a port of mk for Unix? drawterm comes with mkfile-Irix
>>	   etc., so that I assume this must be somewhere...
>>There is; it should be available from Vita Nuova before long.

free of charge in source form, i should add.
i've built the package but need to include some notes
and tidy up the (free) licence.

* [9fans] Re: building drawterm on IRIX.
@ 2000-11-10  7:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-11-10  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndi, 9fans

	1. Is there a port of mk for Unix? drawterm comes with mkfile-Irix
	   etc., so that I assume this must be somewhere...

There is; it should be available from Vita Nuova before long.

	2. Well I've scraped together some Makefiles. I get all sorts of
	   problems with IRIX #include files, to do with Posix issues,
	   which judging by the comments in the source is nothing new.
	   I have been using the cc -n32, which seems to get a different
	   set of problems to the o32. -xansi also has helped.
	   I've also tried -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L

	   I'm wondering which version of IRIX you built this on?
	   Also what sort of graphic hardware?

I built it on IRIX 5.3, tested on an Indy and
on a Windows X server.  It was running Irix cc.
I couldn't get it to build on our IRIX 6.2 box,
mainly because I think the only installed compiler
was gcc.

	3. I eventually got a build complete. I get a
	   fatal("cannot detect x server byte order") in screen-x11.c,
	   in  initmap().

I'm confused.  Your pixels should be much wider.
That is, c.pixel should be something like 0x000099 or
0x990000.  It's as though something else has decided
you're running on an 8-bit color mapped display.
Are you?

	4. I'm wondering what I need to configure on the plan9 machine
	   while I still have a screen on it so that I can be able to
	   afterwards access it over the net with drawterm, or other means to
	   get a shell?

This is actually non-trivial.  You need to set the machine
up as both a CPU server and an authentication server.
Information on both is in the start.pdf documentation.

Russ