From: rog@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] vito nuova inferno on 98
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:07:33 +0000	[thread overview]

> yes, but this is not my real problem.  the only version
> of mk i see is a windows binary and the C source, but
> i want to write limbo on inferno, or compile bits of the
> source tree.  unless i'm missing something, mk.dis does
> not exist.

you're right, mk.dis doesn't exist.  it's on the cards to rectify this
in some way, whether it's by cloning mk, or putting mash-like
functionality into inferno sh, or whatever...  it will happen, but
we're snowed under for the time being, and i think there are higher
immediate priorities (charles might correct me).

the thing is that one doesn't tend to feel the lack of mk too much when
developing limbo under inferno, as there's no link stage,
so usually just a {limbo -g *.b; cp *.dis /dis} suffices.

we don't plan on rewriting the C compilers in Limbo anytime
soon, and that's where mk becomes invaluable. so if you're
rebuilding emu or a native kernel, you'll be forced out
into your host environment for the forseeable future
(oscmd aside)

if you really felt the lack, you could use mash, or
write a little sh script:

#!/dis/sh
load std regex
fn depend {
	# usage depend source target recipe args...
	(src targ recipe) := $*
	recent:=${hd `{ls -t $targ $src >[2] /dev/null}}
	if {~ $recent $src} {
		echo $recipe
		$recipe
	}