* [9fans] file server again
@ 2000-12-22  7:58 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-12-22  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9

My old disk in file server was crushed, and I tried to replace it by a more recent
fast scsi disk, which I chose is Seagate ST39236LWV (9GB).

I started to work on the same machine which I had been using for release 3
Plan 9 file server which had three SE SCSI-II drives and a wide drive.    From
those disks, I chose one of wide SCSI disk, which is Compaq XL32150W(2GB).
The scsi controler is the same as before, and is tekram DC-390F (53C875E
scsi chip on it).  The Seage 9GB drive is for main filesystem (w0), and the
other is for other filsystem.   This machine has ASUS TX97-E motherboard
and AMD K6-2/200MHz CPU).   The hardware settings are same to those
of running Plan 9 fileserver before.   I used the most recent source trees for
making 9pcfs(plan9pc), and 9load etc.

Then, I started the machine with booting floppy, and got failed.

PBS... Plan 9 From Bell Labs
using fd0!dos!plan9.ini

....and stopped here....

There may be something wrong with probe() in load.c of bootloader.

Therefore, I changed the machine to a more older one with Petium 133MHz
CPU.  This experiment was undertaken under the same configuration of
hard disks and SCSI controller.  Fortunately, this works fine.  So, I'm now
writing this mail successfully. :-)  The older machine has ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE
motherboard.
I'm very curious what is happening here.

The AMD K6-2 machine can run successfully, as I reported before, and
checked this time,too.  The only difference between this successful and
un-* is whether a recent LWV hard disk is used or not.  In this machine,
the recent LWV disk fails to probe() itself.  However, if I use older SE hard
disks, it goes no problem.

Any idea?

Kenji

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-12-22  7:58 UTC | newest]