* Re: Re [9fans] file server again
@ 2000-12-29 11:38 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-12-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Please read my post again where I wrote all the informations.

Additionally, scsi-II SE means 10Mbps scsi disks.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2731 bytes --]

From: arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re [9fans] file server again
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:08:32 -0500

Hello

Okamoto said:
>My old disk in file server was crushed, and I tried to replace it by a more recent
>fast scsi disk, which I chose is Seagate ST39236LWV (9GB).
>
>I started to work on the same machine which I had been using for release 3
>Plan 9 file server which had three SE SCSI-II drives and a wide drive.    From
>those disks, I chose one of wide SCSI disk, which is Compaq XL32150W(2GB).
>The scsi controler is the same as before, and is tekram DC-390F (53C875E
>scsi chip on it).  The Seage 9GB drive is for main filesystem (w0), and the
>other is for other filsystem.   This machine has ASUS TX97-E motherboard
>and AMD K6-2/200MHz CPU).   The hardware settings are same to those
>of running Plan 9 fileserver before.   I used the most recent source trees for
>making 9pcfs(plan9pc), and 9load etc.
>
>Then, I started the machine with booting floppy, and got failed.
>
>PBS... Plan 9 From Bell Labs
>using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
>
>....and stopped here....

I am also in trouble with this problem.
I would like to have informations about the hardware components
(motherboard, cpu, scsi adapter, scsi disk) of PC that can run 9pcfs kernel.

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: Re [9fans] file server again
@ 2000-12-30  0:44 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-12-30  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

>Please read my post again where I wrote all the informations.

It seems my mail was too sketchy...
I know that, but I would like to have a catalog of a set of hardware
that can run 9pcfs kernel.
I have traggled to build production file server.
However it seemd 9pcfs dislike all my PCs.
I will try once more.
The calalog may give a good information for me what I should buy.
This mail is directed to all 9fans.

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: Re [9fans] file server again
@ 2000-12-30  8:27   ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2000-12-30  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:

> Hello 9fans,
>
> >Please read my post again where I wrote all the informations.
>
> It seems my mail was too sketchy...
> I know that, but I would like to have a catalog of a set of hardware
> that can run 9pcfs kernel.
> I have traggled to build production file server.
> However it seemd 9pcfs dislike all my PCs.
> I will try once more.
> The calalog may give a good information for me what I should buy.
> This mail is directed to all 9fans.

For my FS I'm using a weirdo motherboard AZZA PT-51T with 1
64M DIMM for memory, a P5-200Mhz.  It has an ancient ARK1000
PCI video card (but who cares anyway).  Ethernet is an
EtherlinkIII ISA (err 3c509B).  For scsi I had been running
a DTC3130B essentially a symbios logic 53c815 connected to
a 1g maxtor scsi of which type I cannot remember.  Right
now the FS is striped across two old 3.5G IDE Maxtors
using my IDE fileserver stuff updated for 3rd release.

Okamotos problem sounds rather like scsi trouble, just
a guess.  If the scsi has a boot eprom my DTC card does
it should be possible to exercise the bus somewhat to see
if the drives are confusing each other for some reason.

> Kenji Arisawa
> E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

Good luck,

Eric Dorman