From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Toshiba Tecra 720 (notebook)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:47:34 +0900	[thread overview]

I got 1024x768x8 display for my Toshiba Tecra 720CT notebook.

Used vga controller is hiqvideo, and the /lib/vgadb around there is like:

ctlr
	0xC0090="CHIPS 65550 PCI & VL Accelerated VGA BIOS"	# NEC Versa 6030X/6200MX
	0xC0090="CHIPS 6X554 PCI Accelerated VGA BIOS"	# Digital HiNote Ultra 2000
	0xC0090="CHIPS 69000 PCI Accelerated VGA BIOS"	# Rackmount
	0xC0090="TOSHIBA Video BIOS V2.30"				# Toshiba Tecra 720CT
	link=vga
	ctlr=hiqvideo linear=1
	hwgc=hiqvideohwgc

and added monitor section as:

#
# XGA (Laptop).
#
xga = 1024x768
	include=1024x768
xga
	alias=svga
#

#Tecra 720
#
tecra = 1024x768
	include=1024x768@60Hz
tecra
	alias=svga
#
# LCD
# Just a convenience, really.
#

Yes, 1024x768@60Hz worked fine.

Now I can come home soon, because I don't harry about FDD problem.
I have CD-ROM drive in this notebook.  :-)

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2629 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:50:59 0900

Thanks Russ.

I' d have been home now.  :-)

> I'd worry more about the VGA,
>which looks like it should work.

Yeah, I'm now in the office just because of this reason.
I'm using hiqvideo driver for this machine, which works partially. :-)
I can run rio only VGA mode.  When I tried 1024x768, it shows acme
windows but not clearly.  There is many noises, and finally it desappears.
I have to read this source from now.  To check graphic chips, we need
another machine to recover from its failure. :-)

I suppose Toshiba (probably also other companies such as NEC etc.) sells
different models in Japan or in US or Europe.
Then, my Tecra 720CT is not the same as that in your country, particularly
FDD drive.  Once upon a time, the 5" 2HD format was a defact standard
also for 3.5" floppy drive, because NEC used it for their major PC.
After PC got its status also in Japan, we have two kinds of 2HD format
in 3.5" FD drive, one is from 5" 2HD (1.2MB) and the other is from IBM
PC (1.4MB).  I'll check linux sources around this, although I have only
Linux for sparc in home. :-)

Kenji