* Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-01 14:37 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My disagreement with SSH is more specific.  It is a securitymonger's
plaything, so has been stuffed with every authentication and encryption
technology known, yet those that are configured when it is installed is
a random variable.  Therefore both sides must negotiate like crazy to figure
how to talk, and one often finds that there is no shared language. This is
idiocy.  The complexity is silly, but much worse is that there isn't at least
one guaranteed protocol for authentication and encryption that both
ends always have and can use as a fallback.  I would argue that that
would always be sufficient, but I know I'm in the minority there.  I do
argue that it's demonstrably necessary.

Algorithms everywhere, and not a byte to send.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-27  2:34 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-27  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Come on now Boyd, can't you just say
>  нет, а не то да?

User is not a typewriter.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-27  2:13 dmr
From: dmr @ 2001-01-27  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> If I were Russian, I might say "niet".

> nyet, although it is written:

>    HET

Come on now Boyd, can't you just say
 нет, а не то да?

	 -- Деннис

* Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-27  1:04 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-01-27  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I guess someone has to do it...

OK, you're a bonehead.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1803 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:01:34 +0100

call me a bonehead, but security has to be simple,
so that you know exactly what it does.

* Re: [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-26 19:56 rsc
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: rsc @ 2001-01-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	it may just be the instances you have seen. i've spend a bit of time
	with the draft documents; there is nothing intrinsic to its protocol
	that necessiates those larded implementations.

no, but there's also nothing intrinsic to the
task at hand that requires such a larded
ad-hoc protocol.  cpu(1) does everything
and more with just 9P and ssl.  while you
might complain about ssl, the complexity
of the ssh protocol is not in the layer-level
encryption code.  it's everything else.
you also might complain that 9P would be
too slow, but i tried it and found that the
small-packet latency was actually _less_
using 9P than using native ssh on the same
unix boxes for various networks.

we're stuck with ssh, but let's not delude
ourselves into thinking it's a good protocol.

(i'm talking about ssh1; ssh2 looks worse.)

russ

* [9fans] Re: The problem with SSH2
@ 2001-01-01 15:37 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-01 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, precisely. By making the thing too complicated, they defeat
the very purpose of security.  Difficult administration results in
incorrect or inadequate installation.  There are cases when I can't
use ssh, a direct consequence.

-rob

[parent not found: <20001231162642.A9783@folly>]