From: Quinn Dunkan <quinn@envy.ugcs.caltech.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] acme questions
Date: Thu,  4 Jan 2001 19:15:46 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi... I have a number of questions and suggestions for acme:

The default acme font, /lib/font/bit/lucidasans/euro.8.font, has a very
similar 'I' and 'l'.  Despite fishing around in /lib/font/bit, I wasn't able
to find a similar font that had serifs or something.  Is there any such thing?

acme has an unused strip at the bottom, whose color is white until the column
redraws, at which point in becomes the background ivory color.  The width of
the strip seems to vary when the acme window is resized, or subwindows are
moved around.

Also, acme also occaisionally gets a bit of a letter stuck on the right edge
of the window.  To reproduce it, write a line like so:

foo bar baz faz la di dah (giz guz wuz fuz)

then click after the 'z' of 'fuz' and type aoeu aoeu aoeu etc.  When I do
this, the right paren sticks at the right edge of the window when the line
wraps.

Here's an acme suggestion: insert the Put command right after the file name in
the tag.  The rationale is that Put and Del are the two commands used in
almost every window, and since tag commands repair themselves when deleted (or
at least try to, strange things sometimes happen), and the tag doesn't scroll
horizontally, it can be difficult to get at Put in a narrow window.  I hardly
even use Snarf anyway.  Another solution would be to allow tags to scroll
horizonatlly on a mouse drag.

Is there a reason acme doesn't scroll a window until a letter is typed or
three returns are pressed?  Why not scroll on the first return?  Also, the
window won't scroll backwards if you press backspace at the top of the window.
In fact, it will happily go delete whatever happens to be above without
looking like it's doing anything.  I think this counts as a bug.

Lastly, is there a version of mc that checks $font and formats with tabs?
'lc' in a proportionally spaced font looks a little messy.