* [9fans] Acme mail, reading another mailbox
@ 2001-01-16 19:54 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-01-16 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use Acme mail almost all the time to read my mail.
I open it up with 'acme /acme/mail/guide' , then use
button 2 on 'Mail stored'. Note: I put the arrow on
"Mail" and then click. I notice putting it on "stored"
doesn't do anything. Anyway, that is not really my
question.

My question is... How can I use Acme mail to read other
mail boxes I have set up in "/mail/box/wstan"? For
example, when I use button2 on "Save" it puts an opened
email into "stored". How can I read my stored messages?

Another observation, just today a friend emailed me a msg
with some large .jpg attachments. I use "aux/listen tcp"
to get my email which works very well. This time it didn't.
I was online for an hour and nothing came in. I know the
email was there because I did a "finger" and saw 17 messages
were waiting. I ended up getting the email via my FreeBSD
partition and Qmail. Any idea why I couldn't get the messages
on Plan9 with my setup?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] Acme mail, reading another mailbox
@ 2001-01-16 14:17 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sent this to the wrong address because  Reply-To: is still missing
from 9fans messages.  There is an Errors-To: however; I suppose
that's more important.  And also an X-BeenThere: that points
to 9fans@cse.psu.edu; that's a positive boon.

Anyway....

It shouldn't be hard to figure out how to read another mail box with
Acme Mail since the source is available (and the answer is easy to
guess), but the behavior wasn't documented, so I have added this
paragraph to /acme/mail/readme:

	Mail uses upas/fs to access the mail box.  By default it reads "mbox",
	the standard user mail box.  If Mail is given an argument, it is
	passed to upas/fs as the name of the mail box to open.

-rob