* Re: [9fans] running pq in Acme
@ 2001-01-21 16:53 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> However, if I open a "New" window in Acme and put the same
> thing in the window, highlight it, and run it, I get the correct data in a
> new window named "+Errors". Why is it an error? Does it have
> something to do with the process not being native to Acme?
> How do I do it correctly?

It's doing it correctly already.  ++L is right: if you want a standard
typescript, use "win". I hardly use "win", myself.  All output from
commands run under Acme goes to an "Errors" window labeled
by the directory in which the command was run. If you say New,
the directory is unnamed and the output will got to the default
error window.  Try running your command in the window of the
directory to which it belongs.  More typically, run "mk" in the
directory of the source.

-rob

* [9fans] running pq in Acme
@ 2001-01-21 22:18 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-01-21 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been trying out pq and find it is working for
me very well. Recently, I thought it would be nice to
use Acme rather than rc. Right now my experience with
Acme is mostly with simple editting, Mail, and src.

I have read the paper on Acme but admit to being a
little slow in picking up the info there. Here is what
I am trying to do:

In rc, I run:

	pq -o '%Components\n%Description\n' 'Comment2=rare'

This produces a nice printout of data.

However, if I open a "New" window in Acme and put the same
thing in the window, highlight it, and run it, I get the correct data in a
new window named "+Errors". Why is it an error? Does it have
something to do with the process not being native to Acme?
How do I do it correctly?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] running pq in Acme
@ 2001-01-21 16:25 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-01-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 05:18:02PM -0500, William Staniewicz wrote:

> However, if I open a "New" window in Acme and put the same
> thing in the window, highlight it, and run it, I get the correct data in a
> new window named "+Errors". Why is it an error? Does it have
> something to do with the process not being native to Acme?
> How do I do it correctly?

Use "win" to give you a closer fit to rio's behaviour (and interpose a
sensible layer between rc and acme).  Acme is not intended to replace rc,
it is more a fancy editor - without the graphics - and may replace rio in
some roles.

++L