From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: plan9@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
Subject: [9fans] panning or scrolling, page(1)
Date: Fri,  2 Mar 2001 14:19:49 +0900	[thread overview]

I've been hesitated to post this here...  I decided now to post here, because
someone else may have differnt opinion on this issue.

Page(1) applies panning to see a part of images, but not scrolling.  I've been
thought this is because page(1) was originally designed to read documents
formatted in postscript or pds, and expanded to many kinds of images.

In our work, we are mainly using page to see satellite images of Mars etc..
In this case, we can never predict what part of the whole image we are now
seeing from the image itself.  For such circumstance, scrolling image horizontally
or vertically is more profittable user interface.  We have now page2 program
locally for this purpose, which is coded mainly by Yoshitatsu.  (We can now
view, on Plan 9, most of NASA's satellite images, such as Viking, Voyager,
Magellan, Clementine, Mars Pathfinder and Mars Global Surveyor. ^_^).
However, when we read documents by page, panning method is fancier to
me, too.

How about your opinion?

Kenji