From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Weird bug.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:49:41 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon Mar 12 08:27:55 EST 2001, DAGwyn@null.net wrote:
> jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> > Secondly, the SB16 doesn't show up in the iomap output because the
> > driver doesn't call the routine to register the space it uses.
> > That's a bug we should fix but shouldn't affect the operation of the
> > driver (assuming there is no actual clash with another device).
>
> Hm, with a PCI-only motherboard, which is about all one can buy
> these days, the nearest thing to a Plan 9-suppored SoundBlaster
> seems to be the SoundBlaster-16 PCI, which like everything else
> for PCI these days is plug-and-play.  Is there some way to make
> this work on Plan 9?
>
> Also, does the 3C905C-TM (PCI) work a a Plan 9 Ethernet card?
>
> It's getting harder and harder to build an ISA PC..

If it is truly an SB-16 compatible then it's a matter of adding a
handful of lines to scan the PCI bus for the card to make it work.
But it can't really be compatible because the DMA must be completely
different.

The 3Com driver in the distribution requires some small fixes
to work with the 905C, Jean Mehat <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr> has them.